Trying something New

"No. Absolutely not," Liam says while walking towards his guitar. "Come on, you know we need a new singer," Shanice says, following him. "No, we don't. Aiden does this all the time! He'll be back." Paora leans against a wall, "I don't think he's coming back, brotha. It's been weeks, plus he blocked all of us." Liam is connecting wires from his amp to pedals, then suddenly throws cords on the ground, "I don't care! Plus, you want to invite the guy who made him leave? Are you insane?" Shanice goes to open her case, "hey, be nice! He was only trying to help, and I didn't see anyone else coming up trying to sing. All our alternates aren't good enough for you." Liam looks down at Shanice while she's taking out her bass, "and he is? Have you ever heard him?" Shanice sighs, "no, I haven't. That's why I invited him to practice to hear how he sounds and plays." Paora stretches before sitting behind a set of drums, "Liam, let's at least hear him, and if you aren't feeling him, we don't have to take him." Shanice straps her bass and connects it to an amp, "see? Paora understands. You want to get famous. Be an amazing band? Well, we need a singer." There's a knock at the door. Paora yells, "it's open! Lock it behind you!" Lucas comes in with his guitar case, "sorry if I'm late! Man, I'm still getting used to using this metro system out here. Still so new to me." Paora walks up to him, and they dab each other, "it's all good, man! We're still setting up ourselves. How have you been?" Lucas sets his case down, "pretty good; just working in the shop per usual! I've been forcing Sunny to take more off days for himself while I've been holding it down. He deserves it. He's always just chilling running the shop." Paora laughs, "okay, that's dope! I need to swing by and visit him. It's been a while since I've been out there." Lucas takes out his guitar, "yeah, you should! I'm sure he'll love that he always enjoys the company." Shanice glances over and sees Lucas staring at her and smiles at him. "Hey Liam, you got to see this guitar!" Liam walks over with a shocked expression, "is that a Mark-10 Delta-18?" Lucas smiles, "yeah! I got it from my mom. I guess it's kind of like a family heirloom. Want to play it?" Liam takes a deep breath, "no, thank you." Liam goes back to put his gear on. Paora shrugs while Shanice hits Liam in the arm. "Why don't you play and sing for us, Lucas?" Lucas sighs softly, "yeah, sure." He picks up his guitar, plays a little melody, and sings softly. He then picks up the tempo while singing raspier. Liam focuses on Lucas as if he's noticing something around him. Shanice looks with her eyes wide open while Paora is staring and smiling. Lucas looks at Shanice, then Paora and Liam while singing passionately before ending the song. "Hey bro, I see the sparks! That was pretty good!" Paora says, patting Lucas on the back. "Think so? I appreciate that!" Shanice smiles at Luca when Liam walks up to him. "Let me ask you something. What DRIVES you, Lucas?" Paora and Shanice look at Liam, then immediately look at Lucas, waiting for his response. Lucas takes off his guitar and looks at Liam, "hmm, I don't know for certain. I just want to play music!" Liam looks seriously at him as the room goes quiet. "Lucas. I'm going to ask you one more time. What drives you?" Lucas nervously laughs, "I told you. I don't know what answer you want me to give." Liam looks at Shanice, "he doesn't even know what his drive is. I'm done here." Liam walks out of the room while Paora follows behind him. "Hey, man, give him a chance. This is probably all new to him," Paora says as his voice fades behind Liam. Lucas looks confused at Shanice, "was it something I said? Is my music not good?" Shanice sighs, "no, your music is amazing, but you should know that drive is what separates amateurs and professionals. Without real drive, you can't begin to understand how the music scene works, let alone compete against other bands." She leaves to find the others but says, "maybe you should ask Sunny and see if he can help."