chapter 2: the basketball territory

"You would never know-" An Thần replied and ventured forward while the ghost meticulously observed the surroundings. "You seem like you have not seen a school before."

"It's refreshing!" The ghost dashed onto the outdoor basketball court where the boys were doing some hoops. Some of them dribbled the balls and passed to each other; some of them dunked on the court to attract the attention of the others. "Smell like teen spirits."

"Yo, G-'' an anonymous student noticed and called from afar. "Come and do some hoops!"

"Aye, comin' right up-" An Thần strove towards; received the ball and initiated a 3-point shot from the line. Scored! The boys, hence, cheered and conducted a half handshake, half high-five Beside, some students continued a one-armed-hug-slash-shoulder-bump straight afterwards and finished with a pat on the back. "Starting fresh today!"

"G, you're on time-" An Thần conducted a half handshake with one of his friends. "I heard you get fucked yesterday."

The two sat on a stone bench at the court, observing the boys playing afar. The ghost was aware of that conversation as well and paid attention to the details. Hoàng Lâm, the ghost described after skimming through the shared memories, befriended An Thần since they were a child. The boy used to protect An Thần from a vicious dog assault, which caused him a mark on the left leg. Hoàng Lâm usually came to the shop eating noodles, as well as befriending his mother.

"Bro, ain't nothin-" An Thần confessed and laid back on the bench when Lam addressed the issue. "Let it slide, just some lame-ass territory bullshit."

"Ain't bullshit to me-" Hoàng Lâm expressed disappointment with his long exhale. He rubbed the combed, neat hair multiple times until it messed up. "Bro, you know I'm all in, why you keep'in to yourself-"

"Shit ain't worth it-"

"Then what's worth it?" Hoàng Lâm immediately raised his voice. He gazed at the startled friend for a moment; looked afar and rubbed his eyes slowly. "You almost died, G, you want to end like that?"

Hoàng Lâm and the boys used to play at a court in Phan Đình Phùng stadium, An Thần recalled. Although that court presented a narrow length, a food vendor situated nearby allowed buying energy drinks quicker. Basketball groups divided into groups after school, so the earliest group came could rent the court; and those who failed would feel resentment towards. The heat became vividly shown when a group of Lê Quý Đôn High School confronted face-to-face; and, it failed to end well for An Thần that day.

"G, we're going to beat some asses-" Hoàng Lâm presented a bear claw to his anticipated friend; continued that the boys already prepared some "gifts" for the upcoming battle. "No forcing here, just decide-"

An Thần stared at the bear claw, hesitating. Since the recent discharge from the hospital, the boy had experienced some bizarre phenomena - a ghost, a Gomboc and the mother's fury. Until now, An Thần tried to wrap every element up one by one; however, he was aware that it would take a long time. The mind swelled with thoughts and doubted the next action which would affect everyone around him.

"Kid, don't look at me-" the ghost recognized the doubtness gaze of the boy. In times of war, playing with swords only meant dead or alive. The ghost had seen many lives lost and blood shed; and, most of the consequences led to an advice which referred to negotiating more than throwing fist. He sat side by side with the perplexed boy and joined the observation with Hoàng Lâm. "Look, all I can say is to find a better way to solve the problem."

"Make a move~" Gomboc raised many voices in the deep dark; persuaded the host the pain had undergone. If An Thần conquered the next battle, he would become stronger and eradicate the bullies once and for all. Gomboc knew deep down inside of the gut, that desire of vengeance was unquenched, only if the host accomplished the goal. "Pay blood by blood~"