chapter eighteen

━━ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN / sunsets

Eliana had been putting off accepting the invitation to the gala all night. She knew that she had to but she didn't want to. The thought of going near Relya again with Poe made her feel anxious. Poe hated Relya and Eliana was completely in love with Poe. It was infuriating and tiring and she hated that she would be trapped in a room with them.

The soiree on Coruscant had been bad enough when she hadn't admitted to herself that she was in love with him. But this, this was worse. She knew that she loved Poe and had fallen out of love with Relya a very long time ago but she still had to pretend. She had to act like nothing had changed just to get the evidence to prove her ex-lover and ex-boss was a traitor to everything the Republic stood for. It was exhausting.

But as the very late evening or very very early morning rolled around, Eliana accepted the invitation. It was a short message informing Relya that she would be in attendance with a plus one. Eliana didn't say who was her plus one but Relya knew. Eliana also lied, saying that she was excited to see Relya and hoped they could finish what they started on Coruscant.

It was all complete lies but if it helped get what they wanted, Eliana knew that they had to do it. She had no choice.

-

It didn't take long to fall back into routine and after a few days back on D'Qar, the test flight schedule had gone back to normal. Eliana was glad to be back with her squadron and she was testing a newly modified X-Wing that hopefully wouldn't break while she piloted.

But after one particular squadron test flight, she ordered everyone else to go back while she stayed in the air. She wanted some time alone and it was getting late so she wanted to watch the sunset. Usually, she'd share the privilege with someone else but everyone was complaining about being hungry or tired so she let them go back.

And instead, piloted herself away from the base and landed on top of one of the steeper hills. It was a precarious landing but the modified X-Wing was much easier to land. So, once it was done, she jumped out and made the thirty minute hike up to the top of the hills.

Just as she reached the top, the sun began to set. The whole sky had been burnt pink as she made her climb but now she got a perfect view. There were mountains and trees as far as the eye could see but she had the clearest view of the sunset she had ever had. She could see all the way to the horizon and could make out the giant ball of fire thousands of miles away from her. The only thing that kept the system alive. It was terrifying and yet so beautiful.

The clouds that covered D'Qar were lit up in bright oranges and pinks and Eliana found herself mesmerised as she sat on the rocks. The drop down to the floor was long and it made her stomach twist in anxiety but she knew better than to let it bother her. Instead, she focused on the sky in front of her.