chapter three

━━ CHAPTER THREE / invitation

It was late but neither Eliana or Maymie had fallen asleep yet. The radio played quietly from the desk in the room as the two women silently scrolled through the holonet. It had been a quiet evening and there was some discussion here and there but they were mostly quiet. It was a nice change from the fast pace of both of their days. They were always entertaining, always working but now they could slow down.

Eliana's holopad pinged and she furrowed her eyebrows. That meant a message but a message from someone outside of the Resistance. She clicked through and her heart stopped when she saw who it was from. Her eyes flicking over the words before she dropped the holopad onto her stomach. The invitation sent her head spinning.

"You need to get up?" Maymie asked. Her soft tone startled Eliana a little.

"No, it's just an invitation," Eliana explained. Maymie - who was on the bottom bunk - shuffled out slightly to try and catch a glimpse of the other woman.

"Excuse me? To where?" Maymie asked curiously. Eliana let out a soft sigh and slid to the end of the bunk. She climbed down the ladders and dropped to the floor, sitting on the floor between the bunk and the door. Her holopad rested on her lap as she looked up at Maymie.

"I used to intern for a Senator on Coruscant and we were... closer than friends or a boss and an intern should be," Eliana explained. It was weird that she had never mentioned her before, Relya had been such a large part of her life. A large part of her accepting herself.

"Right?" Maymie said as she turned over onto her side. Her head rested on the pillow and her gaze fixed on Eliana who still had no idea how to feel.

"And she was the Senator for Naboo. She was lovely. So kind and sweet but after issues with the First Order, I left that position and came here. But she has sent me an invite to the Ball or... birthday dinner for the year. There's still plenty of time before it but I didn't expect it. I attended them multiple times as her intern but it's been over two years since I left and I don't understand why now of all times and why would she even want me there. I left her with very little warning, joined the Resistance, I did everything wrong but there it is. The invite." Eliana knew that she had begun to ramble but Maymie listened and took in every single word. She then held her hand out for the holopad and Eliana reluctantly passed it over.

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder," Maymie mumbled as she read over the invite. Maymie would have suggested the invite was a request to see each other in a less than professional capacity again but the little plus one at the bottom threw that theory out the window. If her only aim was to get into Eliana's pants again, there would be no plus one, no opportunity, "If I'm honest, I think she is trying to be nice. She's letting you bring a plus one. If she wanted more then..." Maymie didn't feel the need to finish the sentence. She then passed the holopad back.

"She used to fuck me in her office, Maymie. This is not her being nice. If anyone would have found out what she did, she would have lost her position as a Senator. You don't bring a massive legal threat to your birthday party after not seeing them for two years and just hope they won't ousted you to the entire room," Eliana retorted. Maymie sighed and sat up on the bed. She then slipped to be sat in front of Eliana, dragging the brunette into her lap.