chapter four

━━ CHAPTER FOUR / panic

"What was it that you were saying last night?" Poe asked over the comms. She could make out his X-Wing a few metres in front of her. Their test flights were still scheduled for 1200 but they had both woken up earlier and wanted to blow off some steam. So, they had gone on their own test flights without informing anyone else, the perks of being a Commander.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Eliana snapped in response. She pushed the ship down, letting the X-Wing dip. It was the modified one so she was still getting used to the sensitivity but she had noticed how the anti-grav capabilities were so much smoother than she was used to.

"You made a bold claim. I'm gonna have to keep you to it," He retorted as he continued to speed ahead of her. Poe always saw these test flights as a race but Eliana just wanted to make sure the X-Wing had no issues. And if any arose, she could smooth them out with Leia. Which is why she kept pushing it higher and higher into the atmosphere despite her better judgement warning her against it.

"And you stopped teasing me for once, guess we both did things we don't mean," She retorted playfully as she pushed the controls higher. Poe had lost sight of her on his radar but assumed she was safe. There was no distress in her voice and instead, her words made his eyebrows draw together beneath the helmet.

"What are you trying to say?" He sounded almost offended and she rolled her eyes, pushing the craft even higher. She broke above the clouds and although that was usually a sign to return back to the surface, Eliana didn't. She wanted to see how far she could push it before the sensors told her to put her shields up or go back down. It should kick in soon enough.

"You're a horrific flirt, Dameron. You can't even pretend," Her tone was teasing. She could hear the huff Poe let out in response. She chuckled and pushed the craft higher and then she felt it. A jolt and a crack and her eyes widened. "Crap!" She shoved the controls down, nose-diving the X-Wing towards D'Qar's surface again, "Shit! Shit, shit!" She cursed as she checked over the ship's vitals. That should not have happened. She should not have done that. The sensors didn't even beep at her. Her gaze flicked over to the fuel chart and the fuel tank was suddenly dropping rapidly. The fuel line, "Kriff," She cursed again. All of it was picked up by the comms. Her heart thrummed against her chest as she tried to work out what to do.

There weren't many options and with how dangerously low the fuel was getting, she could drop out of the sky. Her head was spinning and all she could think about was how reckless she had been but also how lucky she had found that fatal flaw. If it was anyone else, they could have panicked and made a mistake much worse than what she had. Her hands were clammy and her whole body felt like it was on fire as she flicked a few buttons.

"Are you alright? What happened?" Poe's voice came through the communicator. Eliana pushed the ship further down, getting below cloud level again. Once she had put herself on a stable altitude, she pushed her body to the side, trying to get a look at the fuel line but the viewport limited her vision. So, she sat back down.