chapter one

━━ CHAPTER ONE / out of the sky

The flight back to base on D'Qar was one Eliana knew well. Even with the unfamiliar controls of the new X-Wing, she could navigate the path with her eyes closed. The X-Wing had only been slightly modified and the controls were more sensitive than she was used to. It wasn't a hard adjustment to make for Eliana but the fact that the sublight engines had been modified at all made landing smoothly difficult.

But she managed it. There was a moment where she thought she was going to collide with the hangar wall but she didn't. And she felt like she could breathe again. The X-Wing was fresh from the workshop and Leia had specifically requested Eliana test it. It would be embarrassing if she crashed it only a few hours after it had been completed.

A soft breath escaped her lips as she powered the engines down. She then settled back in the chair. The ladder to get out had likely been placed the second she had landed but she wanted to take a moment. Her head rested back against the durasteel wall as she tried to swallow back the nausea. The sudden change in gravity fields was making her feel a little sick.

The nausea had been something she'd never been able to kick. Even after growing up on Coruscant which had so many changes in gravity field in the shuttles and when moving between sub-levels, she was never used to the sharp change while in flight. It made her head spin for at least ten minutes after she got her feet back on the ground. And her feet weren't even back on the ground yet. She knew she had to get out.

So, she pulled the helmet off, letting it clatter into her lap. She then reached up and pushed the glass viewport up. The humid air of D'Qar swarmed the interior and the nausea seemed to double in strength. She took a few calming breaths before she pushed herself to her feet. The change in position only made her stomach turn and she swallowed back the sick in her throat.

With her helmet in one hand, she jumped onto the ladder and clambered down to the runway. The whole world seemed to spin as she let her body try to centre itself. The ground briefly fell under her before it stabilised. She turned around and none other than Poe Dameron was stood a few feet away. There was a smirk on his face.

"You nearly knock yourself out of the sky?" He called. Eliana had to fight back the smile as she walked over to him. She shook her head. That was a mistake. It made the nausea worse and she took another deep breath.

"No," She responded. Her voice on a normal level now there was only a foot between them, "I know my way around an X-Wing," She shot back, emphasising the 'I'. He narrowed his eyes teasingly at her and she smirked right back at him,

"What are you tryna say, sweetheart?" He asked. She chuckled and shrugged. The conversation served as a good distraction from the nausea and she felt a little better already.
"Nothing." It was such an obvious lie but that was intended. Her and Poe always had a joking rivalry. He endlessly flirted and she mostly ignored him. She would never understand how he found her attractive - even jokingly - when she was dressed in such an obnoxiously orange jumpsuit. She felt like a traffic warden's light.