six

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Moon braved walking into the kitchen of her own house the next morning for breakfast, ignoring the presence of Vera Bennet on her laptop at the dining table. "Good morning, Moony," she had said, but the girl had ignored her as she continued starting one of the stove tops so she could cook pancakes.

She opened up the pancake mix, squinting at the instructions before getting to work on mixing it all together. "Need any help with that?" Moon made quick work of mixing the batter, and she started pouring some of it onto the pan. Whilst she stood by it, she scrolled through her phone, skipping over messages from her boss. Isaac had forwarded her something the night before, and she clicked on the link he had sent.

It was an article of some news site that was accusing Nate of killing Simon. There were more links to other articles on the site, some had headlines that accused her of killing Simon. Moon knew she'd be fine. She glanced away for a moment to flip the pancake she was cooking. A lot of people had seen her take a massive fall and break open a locker just to get an EpiPen. The bruise was still there, healing gradually. If that wasn't proof of innocence, she didn't know what was.

Moon set the now cooked pancake onto a plate before pouring more batter onto the pan. "You should stop looking at those articles. We know you're innocent. You've got one of the best lawyers in New York on your side." She was right beside her. 

Moon finished cooking her pancakes, pouring some maple syrup on top and walking towards the table, sitting as far as she could from her. She ate her food in silence, looking at her phone for majority of the time. "Could you please put your phone down and talk to me?"

"You haven't talked to Isaac and I for years," Moon gave her a blank look. "You left us with Dad, who took everything out on us. You knew what he was like and you still left. And now, what? You expect me to welcome you back with open arms and a fucking smile like nothing ever happened?" She scoffed, wolfing down the rest of her food before standing up and dumping her plate in the sink. "In my eyes, you're no mother. You're the farthest fucking thing from it." 

When Vera opened her mouth to respond, Moon cut her off, "Save it. I'm running late." And with that, Moon was up and out since Isaac was getting a ride from the woman. The last thing Moon wanted was to pressure her little brother into joining her little hate train. He was free to do what he pleased, Isaac's old enough.

Moon got to school, driving past parked news vans and finding Addy doing up her bike lock.

Character development.

"How the mighty have fallen," Moon commented as she stalled near Addy, taking off her helmet. 

Addy sighed at her, shaking her head, "Go away."

Moon chuckled before driving off to park her bike. She was blissfully ignorant when she walked through the halls to her locker, shoving her helmet into the top shelf of her locker. People were staring at her, and she didn't need to look around to notice, she could fucking feel it. The murmurs weren't helping either.

"It's definitely her or Nate."

"Shit, it could be both of them."

"What if it's all four?"

"Moon Lee, a quick word?"

Moon turned around, having to tilt her head down a bit to meet Detective Wheeler's gaze. She shrugged, "Sure, let's go." She grabbed her book for her next class before shutting her locker and following the short woman into one of the teacher conference rooms. Moon sat down opposite her, the detective getting right down to business.