Shock

Hailee's POV

"Pardon sir? Daneliya is our daughter!" I exclaim in shock.

"I'm afraid that's not possible as she, appearance wise, is nothing like either of you and in addition, she's holding a Kazakhstan passport while yours are American. These discrepancies suggest a very clear crime." He says.

"Sir, you're right. We adopted Daneliya, but that doesn't make her any less loved by us. That's her appearance doesn't take after either of us." Y/N says.

"I applaud your attempt to come up with a plausible explanation to cover up your crime. But, it isn't going to work this time." The man says a female guard enters the room.

"Hello, I'm Lydia Al Shareif. I need to ask you a few questions pertaining to your alleged offence. I've just spoken with Daneliya in another room and she's admitted to what we suspected. So tell us, where did you scoop her from? Was it planned or unplanned?" Y/N and I looked at her speechless and on the verge of tears. How could our daughter do this to us? Y/N takes my hand in hers.

"What motivation could we have to do such a thing? There must be some mistake!" She says.

"I'm sorry, but the evidence is rather convincing. I'm afraid I have no choice, but to transport you to our holding cells until further notice." The lady states.

"Wait, we'd like to speak to our counsel." Y/N says.

"Of course, but one at a time. Ms. Y/LN, you will follow my colleague to the phone. Ms. Steinfeld, you will follow me to the holding cells as planned." Lydia says. We nod. I give my girlfriend a big hug and follow Lydia back in the hallway and down a set of stairs before being locked in a metal cage in a large room.

"Good. You will wait here until you can be prosecuted." I just nod. A few minutes later Y/N is lead in to my cage and I am let out to call my lawyer.

"Hello? Lily?" I ask once the call connects.

"Hailee! Are you okay?"

"NO! I'm scared, not only for Y/N and I, but for Daneliya mostly. I'm super worried about her." I say.

"I know, I'm working with CPS to send the authorities her adoption papers. Hang on Hailee, it shouldn't be much longer. I've got a colleague of mine, a defensive lawyer at the firm to represent you should they not rescind the charges." Lily says reassuringly.

"I hope you're right."

"Me too. Get some rest. Stick with Y/N. We'll chat soon." Lily says before ending the call. I then follow the guard back to the cell where Y/N was waiting patiently.

"Hey babe, how are you holding up?" She asks.

"I don't know, to be honest. Would Danel really say something like that?" I ask.

"I just can't see that. It's not like her."

"I agree, I believe in her. But that lady made that accusation sound so real, all these bad thoughts keep popping up in my mind." I say.

"No, we have to think positively. I have a feeling that lady was trying to manipulate us using Danel. We have to be stronger than her, believe we will get through this." Y/N says.

"You're right, let's do this." I say, laying my head on her shoulders. She gently wraps her arms around me and I instantly felt safe. A period of time later, the sound of footsteps echoed on the walls.

"Ms. Y/LN, and Ms. Steinfeld, please follow me." This new security guard says. We get up from our seats on the floor and follow him back up to the same meeting room from earlier. Only this time, a man nicely dressed in a suit was waiting there.