three.

03|

"Eva honey, we're almost there." A voice says as I'm stirred out of my nap. Considering I barely got any sleep last night, I'm not surprised I dosed off. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and fighting back a yawn, I see my aunt facing me from the passenger seat. Her eyes look more green than hazel as the sun hits her face. She smiles at me, "Take a look out the window, sleeping beauty."

Heeding her request, I glance out the truck window and tried my best not to look too amazed. The truck slowly rolled up onto a sleek round driveway in front of a fairly large house. To say the house was stunning would be an understatement. The three-story home was beautifully designed. The front base of the home was built out of tan bricks, while the rest of the house was a creamy tan color. The roof was an ash grey color, which complimented the paint. The entrance of the house itself, was highly arched, reaching two stories from the looks of it. The white windows were shiny and stylish and the front door was an elegant chocolate color. The house was surrounded by vibrant green plants and shrubberies. I could smell the freshly bloomed flowers from here. It was a dream house.

"Welcome home." Sophia says softly. Home. I try to ignore the ache in my chest. Though this house was undeniably gorgeous, it was not my home. And though these people were biologically related to me, they were not truly my family. My only family was dead. They say home is where the heart is, well my heart is split in two.

I catch my father's gaze on the rear-view mirror, his eyes locked on mine. It feels like he knows my thoughts.

"What do you think?" he asks as he puts moves the gear-shift to park, his gaze never leaving mine.

I didn't want them to think that their money impressed me. "It's beautiful." I say dully, shifting my gaze back to the house. My dad and aunt glance at me, and then each other.

"Where are we exactly?" I ask, wondering just how far I was from my old town.

"Willow Creek, Montana." My father says as he steps out of the truck. I scrunch my face in confusion as I've never heard that name before. My aunt noticing my confusion say "It's a very small town with a population of about 700, mostly filled with lush trees and mountains." She smiles as she steps out of the car. I do the same.

I glance at my father, who already taken my suitcase out of the truck bed. "How far are we from White Haven?" I ask, referring to my hometown. It feels like I've slept more than an hour on the drive here.

"Roughly 2 hours and a half, if you drive the speed limit." My father responds, taking in my shock.

They got to the hospital less than an hour being called yesterday. I take a glance at my aunt and father, their similarities evident as they stand side by side.

"Are you ready to go inside?" My aunt asks, her eyes never leaving me.

I look up at the house behind them. I was already dazzled by it and I haven't even seen the interior or the back. Though I was curious, I was also nervous beyond belief. I'm about to meet my long lost relatives.

"Can I take a breather first?" I ask them a little breathlessly. I am hoping that I do not embarrass myself by having a panic attack.

They must have noticed my internal battle because my aunt says "Of course hun, take all the time you need. Come inside when you're ready." She smiles and then follows my father inside the house. As soon the door shuts, I release the breath I didn't know I was holding. Butterflies explode in my stomach as I sit on the marble steps in front of the house. Putting my head in my hands, I focus on my breathing.

Inhale. 5 seconds. Exhale. 8 seconds. Inhale. 5 seconds. Exhale. 8 long seconds.

I internally scoff at the way I'm acting right now. Like a scared child. But I just can't snap out of it. I just feel so intimidated by everything. The new town. This fancy house. My not-so-new dad. Heck, even my aunt intimidates me and she's been nothing but comforting. And I know for a fact that the people on the other side of that door, that I haven't even met yet, intimidate me too.