Chapter Eleven: Oy Vey, What A First Date!

"You did what with Steve?" Robin asked eyebrows raised to her hairline, eyes wide, gum popping in her mouth, as she leaned against the counter at Family Video.

"Yeah, Rob-" Eddie nodded as he tried to keep in his blush. "-we kissed."

"In his bed and in the store?" she needed him to clarify for her so she'd have the exact details of the two boys' love lives.

"Yes, Robin. How many more times do you need me to answer that question?"

"Until I can fully comprehend that my two hopelessly romantic best friends finally got together after months of trying to casually push them together."

"I still can't believe you hid that from me. Like, what the hell? You could've just told me." Eddie shrugged at the last sentence as he clicked through the computer to see who needed to make returns for the day. "You would've saved so much time between Steve and me that way."

"It wasn't my secret to tell Eddie. Would you really have wanted me telling Steve that you liked him behind your back?" she quizzed, head cocked to the side, eyeing him intently.

"No, I guess not." the metalhead sighed as he turned to face the door. He heard it chime from a customer walking in. "Welcome to Family Video."

"Exactly. So, don't be too mad at me, " the girl whispered as she stood straight while eyeing the lady who walked into the store.

"I'm not mad at you. I'm just mad at the situation. We could've figured out this thing sooner if we were just honest with one another."

"True, but just be grateful that it finally happened and that you aren't still waiting."

"I'm very grateful for that, indeed."

"So... are you two going to go on a date now, or what?" Robin asked as she waggled her eyebrows with a sly smile.

"I don't really know. I'm not even sure what we are." Eddie sighed as he rested his chin in the palm of his hand. "All we agreed to is that we liked each other, and we liked kissing each other."

"Ask him out then."

"And do what? This is Hawkins, Robin. You, of all people, should know that-" Eddie lowered his voice. "-Steve and I can't just go out on a date together."

"You can always go out to Skull Rock or Lovers Lake." the girl shrugged.

"I'm not sure. I've taken too many of my dates to those places. It wouldn't feel special to bring Steve there."

"Then I'd say leave the state. Go to California for a night." Robin joked as she popped her gum.

"Hilarious, Buckley."

"That's the only place in the world that seems to accept people like us," she whispered as she elbowed Eddie with a suggestive look.

"I know. It sucks." the boy sighed. As he said this, the customer walked up with her rentals. "Will that be all for you today, ma'am?"

"Yes." the lady nodded as she got out her wallet.

"Oh, you don't pay until you bring the movies back."

"Oh, okay. When do I need to bring them back?"

"Next Tuesday."

"Can I go then?" she asked, grabbing for the movies.

"Actually, I need your name for the system."

"It's Mary-Kate Blanchard."

"And your address and telephone number?" After the lady told Eddie her information, she took the movies and left. Eddie turned back to Robin to continue with their conversation. "Maybe I should invite him to the trailer when Wayne's not there and, like... cook for him or something."