Chapter Eight: Sharing A Bed Is Intimate, Okay?

"I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say." Eddie sighed as he leaned his head back against the trailer's hallway wall with a smile, hand twisting around the cord of his telephone.

"I really don't. Enlighten me." Steve's soft voice trickled through the phone line.

"D&D is a game full of action, adventure, and even a little romance here and there."

"Eddie, you're not skipping out on our study session."

"We can always study after the game."

"Eddie, no."

"Steve!" Eddie whined like a little kid as he stopped playing with the cord of the phone. His hand balled into a fist. "This is one of the last Fridays before graduation where I can play with my friends. Jeff is going to Maryland with his family the weekend before graduation, Gareth is busy next Friday for his dad's birthday, and Dustin is visiting Suzie the week after that. I need to go to Hellfire's meeting this week!"

"You're English paper is due the following Monday, Eddie. You need to spend all weekend finishing Romeo and Juliet and writing your damn essay. I'm not going to write it for you."

"I don't need you to write it for me, Steve." Eddie huffed. "I can do everything you want me to do on Saturday and Sunday... and after the game on Friday."

"Fine, then I'm going with you to your meeting."

Eddie froze, eyebrows furrowed. Steve Harrington wanted to sit in on his D&D campaign?

"Uh- Eddie? You still there?"

Eddie shook his head as he snapped out of his trance. "Uh- yeah. I'm still here." His voice came out croaky.

"If you let me come to your meeting, I'll let you go. I don't want you staying too long."

"Okay- uh- yeah. You can come this Friday." Eddie was pacing at this point- well- the best he could pace. The phone was still connected to the wall by a cord.

"What time is your game?"

"We always start at 4:00."

"What time does the game usually end?"

"Usually around 11:00."

"You'll be done by 8:00."

Eddie bit his lip, his cheeks growing a soft pink. He liked Steve being so dominant. It was a weird change of pace for him, but he was digging it. "I'm okay with that. You'll just have to break the news to the boys."

"I can handle your friends... especially since most of them are kids."

Eddie laughed as he began to twist the cord once more. "I don't know why you say that like those kids aren't your friends too, Harrington."

There was a pause. Eddie knew he had won.

"Well- at least I know how to shut them up once they start whining," Steve stated. "Technically, it's your fault that you can't play for a long time."

"How so?"

"You're the one who's got to graduate."

"I told you I could finish all my stuff on Saturday and Sunday. You're the one crushing everyone's dreams, Stevie boy."

The line went quiet on both ends this time. Eddie's eyes were popping out of his head at the nickname that slipped out of his mouth. Eddie didn't know what Steve thought as he stayed silent. Fuck. Eddie did not mean for this to happen. How awkward.

"I'm not crushing anyone's dreams. It's just a game." Steve spoke what felt like an eternity later. His voice seemed off. Maybe he was weirded out by Eddie's nickname for him?