Chapter One: The Duality Of Rain

In the early hour of dawn, as the rain trickled down from a sheet of grey clouds blanketed over Hawkins, Indiana, Eddie Munson's house phone rang, causing the boy to wake with a jolt. The boy laid in bed for a moment, still hazy from sleep and not wanting to move out of his comfortable position of being face down into his pillows, hugging the one beneath him tightly. He almost fell back asleep when the phone stopped ringing, but it soon rang again a few minutes later. The boy groaned as he threw his covers off himself and rolled out of bed. His hair was unruly, and his sweats were bunched up to his mid-thighs as he walked into the hall of his trailer, where the house phone was.

The tired boy snatched the phone from off the wall and spoke in a gruff morning voice, annoyance laced into his tone, "Whoever this is, needs to get a life."

"Eddie Munson." the voice tutted through the line, causing the hairs on the back of Eddie's neck to stand straight. "Is that the way you talk to your boss?"

Oh yes- Eddie had forgotten. Steve Harrington, of all people, was training him at Family Video this weekend. Eddie wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. Being around Steve was enough as it was during the whole Vecna... incident. Why? Eddie Munson had the fattest, most humiliating, most horrific crush on Steve Harrington- a straight guy in love with Nancy Wheeler.

Eddie's had a crush on the jock since Steve was in high school with him. They shared a class during Eddie's junior year, which was Steve's sophomore year. How was Steve out of high school when Eddie was still a senior? Eddie has repeated his senior year three times, but this year was his year. He could feel it. He's coming off the high of defeating Vecna, so why can't he graduate this year- 1986- as a twenty-year-old?

"You're not my boss, Harrington. You're my trainer." Eddie informed, leaning his back onto the wall in his hallway.

"You've got to listen to me while I train you. In my book, that makes me your boss." Steve spoke, voice soft in Eddie's ear.

Eddie took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. He let it out slowly. He didn't have the energy to argue with the man this early-- 6: 55 to be exact-- in the morning. His patience was thin due to his tiredness. He had Gareth to thank for that. The boy wouldn't take no for an answer when Eddie tried to shut him down on going bar hopping instead of studying- yes, they have fake IDs; who doesn't?

"Harrington, what do you want?" Eddie breathed out, eyes still shut and back leaning against the wall. He honestly could fall asleep like this if he tried.

"I'm calling to make sure you're up for your opening shift this morning." the boy on the line stated like the metalhead should know this already.

"I open today?" Eddie asked as he brought his free hand up to his eye to try and rub the sleepiness away. A small yawn escaped his lips, causing Steve to groan in annoyance.

"Yes. Did Robin not give you your schedule at your interview?"

"She did- she did." Eddie yawned again. "I just- forgot to look, is all."

"Are you trying to get fired before your first day?" Steve asked with a bit of a bite in his tone.

"Calm down, Harrington. I'll be on time."

"You better be."

"Wait- uh- when does the store open?"

"8:00 AM, Munson!" Eddie knew steam was coming out of Steve's ears at this point as the guy seethed the sentence into the phone.

"Okay, okay. I'll be there and on time too." Eddie spoke, finally peeling his eyes open as his Uncle Wayne's bedroom door cracked open. He watched as his uncle made his way to the kitchenette, dragging his slipper-covered feet across the carpet as he scratched at his balding head.