𝐹𝐼𝑉𝐸

...♔...

♔

......

   Stella Rogers wanted nothing more than to be free. Free from the solitude, free from the constant worry, free from the organization. She wanted to live her life with her love and with her daughter as normal people. Not as weapons or as simply an aid.

Ever since the crash in '45 all she had done was care for the Winter Soldier, tended to him when he got out of hand, wiped and stitched up the wounds he came back from missions with — he wouldn't let anyone else touch him.

And it's not like she minded, he was the man she loved, the man she does love. But maybe if he could not get hurt so often, or if HYDRA hadn't made him stone cold and serious, maybe then she would enjoy patching him up. She could joke around with him, hear his boisterous laugh she hadn't heard in decades.

She could have her Bucky back.

But all of this was a pipe dream. Something she could think about, and could comfort her when she went back into cryo, and wonder about the what if.

But that's all it could be. What if?

Stella hated that, the unknown. She despised not knowing what was in store for her family, not knowing if Bucky would come back alive from his latest mission, not knowing if Vera was safe wherever she is, not knowing if she would ever have the happy family she so desperately wanted.

She guessed that the universe had other plans, and trusted god to get her off this track she was currently headed on when the time was right.

But what she didn't know was that the timing was now.

She was sitting next to Bucky, once again in the room where his torture occurred. Her hands were holding him back as the dreaded words were spoken, bringing the Winter Soldier out.

He tried to wiggle out of her grasp, wanting anything else but to go through the same cycle he had been on for decades. But because of that damn injection that rewired her belief system, he was forced to keep in his seat.

"Good morning soldier," the doctor said once the string of key words were over and Bucky sat still in the chair.

The soldier glanced at Stella who still stood in front of him before darting his gaze at the wall behind her, "ready to comply."

"We have a mission for you," the doctor started, nodding at the saving grace to let the man go, "the project insight is being sent up, Captain America and his group will be trying to bring it down. Your mission is to keep that from happening."