3 Heavy Mortal Hopes

It's been week since dad got infected by the burned one. I was secretly watching him, just knowing his condition. I was really thinking about it like crazy, that I completely stopped focusing on my classes. I also felt guilty, because every time I closed my eyes I saw my dad, leaning against that tree, completely hopeless. And then I realized that Terra was basically the one helping him, I just froze. I know that he is frequently visiting the greenhouse, Mr. Harvey is holding him on Zanbaq. But no one wants to tell me anything about his true condition.

I woke up, got prepared and went to my lessons. We gathered with the girls in a classroom, all of us preparing stuff to train our magic. Terra had a flower pot, bloom had a few sticks, and me and Aisha got bowls of water. I sat at the last desk with a ginger girl, her name was Beatrix and her powers were wind and its electric properties. ,,Impressive, Beatrix. Keep it up." Dowling said. ,,Got it, Miss D." Beatrix said. I looked at her weirdly. Dowling stopped and put on an annoyed face. ,,Headmistress Dowling." Beatrix fixed it up. Dowling went to me. ,,Your grace." Beatrix added silently. Now it was my time to shine. I used my magic and showed Miss Dowling that I can freeze water. ,,I already saw that from you, you are especially great in this." I looked at her. ,,However, your ability is not only ice, but snow too. Snow, as well as ice, comes from water. That's what you have to think about, all of you," She turned to whole class for a quick moment. ,,when you are using your powers. Their natural sources." She smiled at me, used her magic to melt the ice, it was water in that bowl again. ,,I want you to freeze the water, so it is snow." I tried to focus on it. I froze the bowl. ,,That's impossible, I have to think about it and separate all the single little drops to make it snowflakes." Dowling nodded. ,,It would be more difficult if you were a water fairy, but making snow is more easy. Please, Ivy, try again." I took a deep breath and started focusing again. But there was something wrong. I couldn't focus freely and entirely on my magic, I had so much on my mind. So the bowl started shaking and instead of snow, I made ice again, but the water splashed around and I froze it, making it a huge pointy tree with sharp icicles. It happened so fast I couldn't react. Fortunately, Dowling stepped back and Beatrix dodged it. ,,What the f-" Beatrix wanted to say. ,,I'm so, so sorry, I didn't mean it." The class started whispering to themselves. ,,Don't worry, we'll give it some time." Dowling went to other students. I sat in my desk totally shocked.

After the class, Dowling called for me. ,,Ivy, sit here." She offered me a seat in front of her. ,,Listen, I know I haven't been doing well in lessons lately, but I promise I'm working on it." I started. ,,I know, and I'm not here to scold you for your school results." She said. ,,Then why? Are you going to tell me how my dad is actually doing? How bad is it?" I asked. ,,That's maybe the problem, Ivy. You are focusing too much on the issue." She told me. ,,Well, should I not? I mean he's my father, it's been a week since he got infected, no one tells me anything at all and what's worse, HE won't tell me anything." I said, with my eyes getting teary. ,,Ivy, I understand it's hard for you. But you are a young fairy, you still don't have your magic under full control, bothering yourself with this issue is making it even worse, I saw it today." She said. ,,What do you mean?" I asked. ,,Well, in general, there are three types of frost fairies. Snow fairy, ice fairy and both." She started. ,,So I am an ice fairy?" I asked again. ,,No, let me finish, the snow fairy was your mother. She learned how to use magic with positive emotions only, after she grew into a powerful fairy, she used even negative emotions, still being a snow fairy. The ice fairy, on the other hand, is someone who learns with negative emotions, when they grow powerful, they use only ice and it often happens that they start losing control, and sanity." She explained. ,,What?" I asked. ,,They usually become afraid of themselves, as they don't know how to hold these powers properly. I don't want you to be like those fairies. Those who can hold both snow and ice are the most powerful ones, being let by pure emotion control and stability. So please, focus on your new friends, on your studies, and leave worrying about your dad to us." I sighed. ,,Well.... It's kinda hard when the only thing I know is that he's on Zanbaq." I said. ,,You see? He's on Zanbaq so you don't have to worry." Dowling said. ,,Yeah, but because of that I am still unsure, I want to do something, help or do anythig. If I lose him, Farah, I'm afraid that you won't see any snow magic from me." I said, stood up and was on my way out.