nine

[ merry christmas to all and if you don't celebrate then happy holidays, here's a christmas present in the form of an update :) ] 

The next week and a half was spent rotating between riding the Pa'li, learning how to track by both scent and trail, and fighting. Anyone could guess which one Kit preferred. But it did offer a small haven from Jake so the zoologist could attempt to sort out her feelings. They hadn't spoken much in the past week, at any meal times Kit made it her mission to speak to anyone but him, but we spoke to her she always answered to make it seem less suspicious. At least to her. 

The Na'vi around her had generally began to accept her more or at at least acclimate to her. They had gotten used to her talking and asking questions about the animals of Pandora, she always seemed especially excited when someone asked her a question though. Mo'at thought this was good progress and Kit was extremely open about what she did and what happened at the human compound – she didn't have any reason not to be. It wasn't like they were at war. 

The tracking of the animals had increased the amount of activity she did and Kit could feel her body getting fitter. It hadn't been long but in the short time she was finding she could run farther and faster each day. Tay'kat had been her teacher for the Pa'li and tracking, something Jake had commented on a few times but she didn't understand why. He should be happy he was with Neytiri, the woman he found crazy beautiful. She still hadn't forgot the words he used and until she got over her little crush, she didn't think she would. Maybe it stung because she had thought he'd felt the same way – he at least acted like he had. But maybe he was just one of those people with a flirty personality. 

Kit couldn't be angry at Neytiri though, it wasn't her fault that Jake was attracted to her. They carried on her self-defence lessons which had now turned into sparring, the born and raised Na'vi still beat her every time but the dream walker was putting up a better fight each time. Neytiri had admitted to her parents that she was learning quicker than she thought she would've. 

Tay'kat had become her friend; or at least as much so as Neytiri. They were friendly with each other and each day seemed to go faster than the last. They'd found themselves spending lots of time together as most of her current lessons were with him. He incorporated his own teachings on Eywa and Kit was interested to find they all had the same belief that their deity cared about them all individually – it was a nice thought. One the scientist still didn't know if she believed. 

Her human body had seemed smaller to her now, and stepping on a scale showed that she had lost five pounds which wasn't necessarily a lot, but it was noticeable to her and she didn't want to waste away. She had mentioned this at dinner one night to her teachers/potential friends and Tay'kat had asked her what being a dream walker was like. 

Many people around them had gone quiet, waiting to see whether she answered the question or not. The zoologist just had a thoughtful look on her face, "it's confusing," she had said, "but also exhilarating. It's not just like waking up one day in a different body, these bodies were grown for us. It has our DNA - our genetic make up which makes me what I look like and one could argue behave like. We each have DNA that's different from someone else," the scientist had explained to the two after receiving some confused looks.