This is the feeling I was trying so hard to run from.

This confusing, all-consuming feeling. It doesn’t feel like I’m fighting him anymore. It feels like I’m fighting myself.

Torren walks past me, and on impulse, I reach out, placing a hand on his arm.

He stops, turning to glare at me. I glare back, dropping my hand.

“What was Rune doing here?” I ask him.

His stare is angry and heavy on my face. “I had a business proposal for him.”

“What proposal?”

He scowls.

“You know damn well what proposal. You think you can run around, scheming behind my back, and I wouldn’t find out?” His eyes turn to accusing slits. “What were you planning on doing, little Morozov? Running away to Russia?”

I clench my jaw as my heart sinks in my chest. “Yes.”

At this, anger ripples through his features. “There isn’t an ounce of blood I won’t shed to get back what’s mine.”

“Russia is a big country.”

“I’d tear it apart to find you.”

My heart flips in my chest, but before I can muster up a reply, Luca is pulling him to the side to discuss something.

In the meantime, Rune Volkov walks over to me. Even in my heels, he towers over me. He has a handsome face, faint stubble.

People around us keep sneaking glances his way, but either Rune doesnʼt notice, or heʼs an expert at ignoring it.

Thereʼs a palpable sense of fear in the air, too. His reputation precedes him. He accomplished something only few  can — rising through the ranks from a mere enforcer to eventually rule the men who once owned him.

And although I hold some respect for him, I hold no fear.

“Did you say yes to whatever he offered you?” I ask, narrowing my eyes up at him.

The corner of his mouth lifts. “Nice to meet you, too, Miss Morozov.”

“Did you?” I press.

“It was only business. I never meant any harm,” he says, “I hope to make your acquaintance, sometime in the future.”

I scoff, indignant.

Rune tilts his head, amusement swimming in his silver gaze. “If you ever find yourself in need of protection, the offer remains.”

He waits a few seconds for my reply, but I say nothing. As he turns to leave, it hits me.

Itʼs over.

I no longer have a backup option.

Running away without legitimate protection is useless. Rune was the only safe way out.

But if it’s over, and I no longer have the option of leaving to Russia, why don’t I feel angrier? Why can I only think about the good things I’d be leaving behind, like my friends, and Ana and Giulia? Why do I feel . . . relieved?

If there’s another way, a way for me to get out of the marriage without having to leave my life in New York behind, I wouldn’t hesitate to take it.

Torren lifts his head from his conversation with Luca to glare at Rune’s back as he leaves. He takes a step toward me, then stops. His phone is ringing, I quickly realize. Torren lifts it to his ear, and whatever comes from the other end drains the blood from his face.

I frown, walking over to him instead. Luca notices that something’s wrong, too, because he moves closer to his cousin before asking, “What happened?”

“He’s dead,” Torren says, his voice low, “My father is dead.”

❖ ❖ ❖

authorʼs note:

this chapter is really short so I decided to do a double update.

make sure you follow me here on wattpad to get immediately notified as soon as i update — rhianovak

you can search “torren and freya” on spotify for the book playlist.

scroll for the next chapter >>>