i. at the beginning

chapter one. at the beginning

 at the beginning

         THE COOL AIR OF THE NIGHT nipped at the sheltered skin of Bianca's arms as she walked down the streets of Mystic Falls, her over-sized hoodie doing little to provide her protection from the cold. Perhaps that was her consequence for choosing the thin fabric in the first place, but it wasn't exactly her plan to spend her night out longer than she had. Feeling a vibration in her back pocket, the young teen stopped her steps and palmed for the device.

         "Speak of the devil," she whispered as the screen illuminated her face, the sole source of light in the vast darkness save the florescents shining from overhead. A text from a certain blonde blared to life, her number recognizable to the Amorettee girl with how often they lounged on the phone together.

         Bonnie wants you to text her when you get home. It read featured with an eyeroll following the digital lettering. Bianca couldn't help but chuckle as she rendered a text back, her feet aimlessly continuing down their pathway.

Tell her I will, appreciate the concern CareBear.

         The timing on her phone read it soon being close ten o'clock and a subconscious alert to her brain made Bianca hurry her haste. Into the beginning of their freshman year, Elena Gilbert, a friend to the Amorettee girl for a series of years that there never seemed to be a time when they weren't, had discovered a secret hideaway just near the outskirts of the schools boundary line. The quaint little structure had been a spot the young group of friends would escape too during the school hour.

          And now, it had obtained a new use. A use in which had led Bianca to having to sneak back into the four walls of her bedroom before her father made his way back home. With the Amorettee house being only three blocks from Mystic Falls High, Bianca could only hope for a blessing to hinder her father's arrival long enough for her to reach the last block.

         At the feeling of another vibration from her palm Bianca had begun to look down, holding the intent to signal a response when a loud crash echoed through the darkness, rattling off the sides of the brick walls of the looming alley surrounding her. Bianca's heart felt as if it were leaping out of her chest, thundering against the harsh bone of her sternum with a furiousity that bloomed a dull, burning ache flooded her chest.

          It was quick, unfathomably so, her heels scraping over the rain soaked concrete with the intent of distancing herself from the source of the sound, her eyes scanning frantically through the alley. As her feet propelled backwards, stumbling with each step, Bianca felt an arm latch around her waistline and snapped her backwards, pain crawling up her abdomen. The scream crawling it's way up her throat once  arose from a feeling of shock, the hairs on her body rising in alert at the sudden movement, now shifted into something more horrific, more blood curdling as a sharp, blinding pain ripped through the flesh of her neck.