Chapter 5

It didn't make sense to just leave abandoned buildings standing. Looking up at the old school with a flashlight in my hand and the bangle in my pocket, a foreboding shiver ran up my spine that felt well deserved. Most of the main floor windows were either boarded up or covered in graffiti, the walls weather-worn and caked with dirt. The open stretch of field out front was covered with more dead grass than weeds, the dimly lit houses lining the block looking kilometers away instead of meters.

I stepped up to the main entrance, my gaze zeroing in on the cracked open door. The wooden boards that'd been nailed across were now ripped off and tossed aside. Best case scenario was that it was the work of squatters. Worst case was Nora.

I should've offered to search her house instead.

The door groaned as I pushed it open farther, revealing a long stretch hallway. Dark, ominous, and way outside of my comfort zone. I heaved a deep breath, stepping inside.

It was disturbingly quiet. The air smelled damp and the ground was covered in a layer of grime that only came from years of neglect. I veered off toward one side of the corridor, keeping my eyes peeled for signs of movement as I crept deeper and deeper into the building. I had to be moving at a snail's pace but I didn't care, every hair on my neck standing straight. The air was so still. I could feel the faint thudding of my heartbeat in my eardrums.

A shuffle came from behind.

I whirled, drawing my magic into my palm in a blaze of light. A figure stood at the end of the hall. It wasn't the gun in his hands that made my heart stop. It was the look in his eyes. The way they widened at the sight of me. My magic.

My throat seized and my stomach felt like it dropped through the floor, horror crashing over in a tidal wave to take its place inside me. Neither of us moved. We were stuck in a staring match. The hunter and the hunted. Watching. Waiting to see who'd make the first move.

Sam lowered the gun. "I'm not going to hurt you."

My hand didn't move. My voice came just above a whisper. "I wish I could believe that."

"You can. I promise." He held up his hands, keeping his finger off the trigger. He slowly pulled back his jacket, tucking the weapon into his belt. He kept his hands in the air, open and visible. A signal that he wasn't a threat. "We can talk about this."

I ground my teeth tight. "I don't have anything to say."

"I have plenty," he insisted.

"We can sum it up pretty simply. You're a hunter. I'm a witch."

Nothing surfaced on his expression. No shock, no revulsion. Just calm. A mask to hide whatever was going on in his head. "Okay."

"That's it? You had to be expecting someone normal, maybe even a hunter. Not something you kill." I wanted to keep my voice empty. Controlled, but a tremble managed to creep in.

He took a step. "Mel–"

"Don't." I breathed sharply, flicking out my fingers. The magic condensed in a brighter glow, rising against the center of my palm. He halted, keeping his hands up. "Don't lie. I know how unpopular we are in hunter circles. You and your brother aren't any different from the rest."

His gaze sharpened. "You sound sure of that."

"It's an easy guess."

He shook his head, the look in his eyes hardening. "I don't buy it."

"No?"

"You've seen us before."

My heartbeat fumbled. "Why would you think that?"