Diabolus ex Machina

Start from the beginning

Secondary life support reserves were functioning for the moment – but it was a far cry from a long-term solution.

As much as Geordi wanted to fly back to Minos and rescue the away team, Geordi recognised that saving lives on the ship had to come first.

They wouldn't be able to reach the team until either the Transporter was functioning again, or they had repaired the damaged to the hull.

"ETA on repairs?" Geordi asked.

"We've got teams working on the fractures, but it will be another two hours before that section can be sealed and repressurised," Miles said.

"Then that's our priority," Geordi said. "I want an update in an hour. Dismissed."

The team got up to leave.

"I'll be along in a moment, I just need to check in with Doctor Selar," Geordi advised as the group dispersed back to their assignments.

With Beverly trapped down on Minos, Doctor Selar had stepped up to oversee Sickbay – a Sickbay that was presently full of wounded.

Geordi detached his VISOR and set it down on the surface of the table. Normally Geordi felt confident because of the visual cues his VISOR offered.

He had learned to interpret not just body language, but also temperature and heart rate to study the reactions of others.

But on a day like today, his VISOR was a bitter reminder of just how dire their situation was. Geordi was an Engineer – not a Captain.

And he was young. It was no secret there were plenty of other older engineers that saw Geordi's posting as Chief Engineer as a mistake.

It was part of why he worked so hard to overcompensate by taking on additional duties and trying his best to create a team atmosphere in Engineering.

Only there wasn't time to establish that camaraderie now. He couldn't charm his way to confidence and the crew wasn't about to entrust him as readily as they did for the likes of Commander Riker.

Whenever Geordi looked at them, he could see they were afraid – rapid eye movements, elevated heart rate and breathing, an increase in body temperature.

It all weighed on him.

Geordi was keenly aware that he had a responsibility to more than just the crew. There were over a thousand people on board including civilians and children.

Returning to Minos without a sure-fire plan to destroy the weapon put all of them at risk.

"La Forge to Doctor Selar," Geordi said as he tapped his combadge.

There was a brief pause.

"Lieutenant?" she responded a moment later.

She was always direct.

"Any update?" Geordi inquired.

"We've treated thirty-nine crew members for minor lacerations, sprains, and other impact-related injuries from the initial attack," Selar reported. "I'm keeping an additional six personnel here under observation for moderate injuries and three more that sustained serious injuries. I believe Lieutenants McCormick and Reid will make a full recovery in time."

They had been in Main Engineering when the ship had been hit. The two had been thrown and suffered severe burns during an effort to stabilise the conduits on the coolant control system.

There was a pause.

"I've already informed Ensign Lu'vek's husband that her wounds are too severe. She requires care beyond our abilities and the odds of recovery are slim," Doctor Selar said.