Percy saw a tiny silver thin on the ground and leaned to pick it up

No sooner were they out of earshot than Malfoy burst into laughter.

"Did you see his face, the great lump?"

The other Slytherins joined in.

"Shut up, Malfoy," snapped Parvati Patil.

"Ooh, sticking up for Longbottom?" said Pansy Parkinson, a hard-faced Slytherin girl. "Never thought you'd like fat little crybabies, Parvati."

"Look what Perseus found!" said Malfoy, Percy handed it over. "It's that stupid thing Longbottom's gran sent him."

The Remembrall glittered in the sun as he held it up.

"Give that here, Malfoy," said Harry quietly. Everyone stopped talking to watch except Percy who stepped forward to stop a fight if it broke out.

"I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find – how about – up a tree?"

"Give it here!" Harry yelled, but Malfoy had leapt onto his broomstick and taken off. He hadn't been lying, he could fly well. Hovering level with the topmost branches of an oak he called, "Come and get it, Potter!"

Harry grabbed his broom.

"No!" shouted Hermione Granger. "Madam Hooch told us not to move – you'll get us all into trouble."

Harry ignored her. Blood was pounding in his ears. He mounted the broom and kicked hard against the ground and up, up he soared; air rushed through his hair, and his robes whipped out behind him – and in a rush of fierce joy he realized he'd found something he could do without being taught – this was easy, this was wonderful. He pulled his broomstick up a little to take it even higher, and heard screams and gasps of girls back on the ground and an admiring whoop from Ron.

Percy couldn't go up with them even if he wanted to. He had no idea if Zeus answered his prayer and even if he did Percy has never ridden a broom before he could only watch as his brother and friend were soaring through the air. They were arguing and Draco threw the Remembrall at the ground. He watched as Harry dove after it at speeds that made everyone anxious he stretched out his hand and caught it a foot from the ground just in time to pull up and slam into Percy as a landing pad.

Draco glided down and quickly went to help Percy up while Ron did the same with Harry. 

"Good job Harry." 

"That was brilliant mate."

As Harry was showered with congratulations Percy could see Draco getting angrier by the second. "if it wasn't for Percy here you would have snapped your neck and been on the next train back to those muggles." Draco said as Crabbe and Goyle walked behind him.

"I see you're a lot braver on the ground with your little friends to back you up." came Harry's cool reply. Crabbe and Goyle were not small by any means and as they were about to advance and try to fight Harry until Percy stopped them both with a hand on the shoulder. Percy is almost a good head taller than both of them and it seems his position amount the group matches Draco's.

"I'd take you on anytime on my own," said Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only – no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has," said Ron, wheeling around. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Draco looked at the three sizing them up.

"Percy" he said. "Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; that's always unlocked."

"HARRY POTTER!"

Professor McGonagall was running toward them. Malfoy smirked Percy took some steps back and started walking back to the brooms left on the ground further away.

"Never – in all my time at Hogwarts –"

Professor McGonagall was almost speechless with shock, and her glasses flashed furiously, "- how dare you – might have broken you neck –"

"It wasn't his fault, Professor –"

"Quiet, Miss Patil –"

"But Malfoy –"

"That's enough, Mr. Weasley. Potter, follow me, now."