Chapter Thirty-nine: A schemer in causality's laws

Start from the beginning

"How did that-"

"Shh, we're getting to the good part," Valentin could hardly contain his excitement as he stared at the scene.

I looked again and sure enough, something zoomed so fast towards the arachnid and in a few seconds, the spider was in pieces and slowly dissolved into dust but not before its green goo splashed around like acid and melting the fauna where it fell on.

The scene suddenly shifted on another zoom, but this time it focused on what seemed to be the zooming shadow from before.

Do I really need to say who it was?

It was Valentin with his long silver hair being blown gently by the breeze with a cocksure grin on his face and a thumbs up, winking towards what he seemed to think of was a camera's point of view. He was treating the whole thing as if it was a movie and he was the main lead.

"Narcissist," I quipped.

"You mean heroic," he smirked and gave the same wink he did as in the scene.

"Heroes can be narcissists too," I pointed out.

"You really could not spare one compliment for me?" He put a hand to his heart, feigning hurt.

It was my turn to roll my eyes at him. "Yeah, yeah. That was awesome."

And truth be told? It really was. He looked as if he was the protagonist of a shounen anime with his perfectly sculptured stature and pretty face, even after battling a literal monster with acid raindrops falling from the sky.

"So you think I look perfect?" Valentin raised a brow at me and his smirk widened. "I always pegged you for a little tsundere, glitch, and I knew right."

Fortunately for me, the carriage was not as big. Unfortunately for him, however, as my leg easily could reach up and kick his shin after her made that remark.

"Ow! What the hell!" He complained and rubbed below his knee.

"Enough with the massive ego talk and on with the actual topic!" I badgered him. "The Law of Causality? What was that about?"

He mumbled something about not being praised enough in this world but I could not even care. "The world has already noticed you and things that are not supposed to be here are now appearing here."

"But you said last time that there were no gaps yet!

"And how long ago was that?"

I was silent as I realized that I have not really met up with Valentin for a long time already.

"So you were gone because . . .?"

"I was cleaning up after your mess, little glitch," he said in a matter-of-factly manner.

I held my hand against my head. "How did this come to be?"

Valentin shut the projection on his palm with another snap. "The gaps started to show up after your mage got in a coma."

I flinched at the thought of the kidnapping incident again- the knife's blade striking down as Matthias lay limp in my arms and the whole world seemed to stop. My breathing got heavy.

"Has everyone been acting different, lately?" He inquired and put a stop on my reverie.

I nodded askance. "I'm not quite sure but does this have to do with that incident on the ship?"

"Viveca said the heroine pushed her, the heroine said no and no one else saw Viveca being pushed," Valentin crossed his legs and stared straight at me. "And I know you know that Viveca is not one to lie, given her current personality."