Chapter Eleven

"Why would you protect us like that," Wei Wuxian asked sitting at his table in Devil's Den.

Lan Wangji was sitting opposite him, quiet but anxious and concerned. He looked up from staring at the table at the question and muttered, "Because I want to help you, I'm not here to hurt you or A-Yuan or anyone else. Haven't I said that enough?"

Wei Wuxian stared at him then looked down at the table at all the inventions and talismans he had displayed on it, scattered around. Lan Wangji stood up and walked around to sit next to Wei Ying. Wei Wuxian stiffened slightly but didn't do anything else continuing to stare down at the table.

"Wei Ying," Wangji said. He wanted Wei Ying to talk to him, about the conference, or even about the day he killed Wen Chao or just something silly and ridiculous he didn't care. He just wanted the man to talk to him, he felt awkward in this silence, he didn't like it.

"I know I said we'd talk later, but right now I don't want to talk," Wei Wuxian whispered throwing his head into his hands, his elbows on the table.

Wangji was silent for a moment then said, "Then don't, listen to me." He waited for a sign the man was listening but didn't see one and continued anyway, "I protected you both because I wanted to because it was the right thing to do. I stood up for you because it was the right thing to do, neither of you deserved what they had done and were still doing."

Wei Wuxian listened eyes closed and covered behind his hands as Wangji spoke, his shoulders slumped. He was angry and confused, anxious and worried. He was depressed and just... hurt. Wei Wuxian was tired of feeling, he is who is for a reason. 

"I came to the Burial Mounds, not for anything the cultivators want, or your orders for me," Wangji said laying a hand on the man's shoulder squeezing softly, "I came for you because I want to be by your side. I should have been by your side years ago, but I wasn't, and I regret it."

Wei Wuxian slowly removed his hands from his face and turned to look at Wangji, those eyes scrutinizing him, confused. "What... do you mean?" He asked, still a whisper.

"I regret not letting you explain anything to me, I regret not listening to you and trusting you, I regret...," Wangji paused swallowing back some saliva gathering on his tongue. "I regret that I wasn't trying to stop everyone from attacking you. You were trying to save innocent people from being murdered. And I'm ashamed to have had a part in the shunning that was pushed onto you."

Wei Ying watched him taking the words in, soaking them up like a sponge. "It's in the past now, so it doesn't..."

"But it does matter Wei Ying," Wangji said turning his full body in his seat to look at him and then pulling Wei Ying to do the same. He laid both hands on either of Wei Ying's shoulders and continued, "It bothers you, Wei Ying, I know it hurts I can see it every time you stare at me. You think you're hiding it well and maybe you are to others, but not to me."

Wei Ying was silent now, Wangji was right. It did hurt. Every time he looked at Wangji he couldn't help but be reminded of it all. 

"You can't hide the hurt from me, Wei Ying," Wangji told him then laid a hand softly against Wei Ying's cheek, "you can never hide it from the one who loves you more than anything in the world. I was an idiot back then, ignorant and unknowing of everything and everyone around me."

Wei Ying's eyes widened at the man's words, still unable to speak. He'd never think he'd hear Wangji admit he was wrong, let alone admit that he was an idiot. And the hand on his cheek, it felt soothing to him and he didn't want to smack it away, it felt grounding to him.

"Wei Ying, I was ignorant to my feelings and emotions regarding you but now," he said rubbing his thumb ever so slightly against Wei Ying's cheek, "I understand them, and I want to fix this. I want to prove to you that I'm not here to hurt you or manipulate you or anything you may be thinking. I don't care what my uncle or anyone else will think, I want to help you get the justice you deserve."