- Chapter Twenty -

I never thought that in my mid twenties, I would need to be watched as if I was a mere child

I never thought that in my mid twenties, I would need to be watched as if I was a mere child. As if I am incapable of going somewhere without a bodyguard, and yet according to Kai, that is the case.

Which explains why I am here— being escorted home by my fake-husbands older brother, but also his protector, an enforcer or whatever. Blake Bliss doesn't once speak to me, unless I speak to him. It's ridiculous, I can't help but wonder if Kai had warned him. If he had warned Blake on making conversation, he's even crazier than I had imagine.

But literally who plans on a kidnapping? Psychopaths, that's who. I know it wasn't Kais' idea, but that doesn't make this whole thing right. And I could not just sit there and listen to Luca Garcia explain the plan as if it was normal. "Have you ever planned a kidnapping?" I asked Blake as we drove in silence, the traffic had stopped moving and therefore making this a painfully long journey.

"Why are you asking that?" Blake shot back, his eyes finding my own just as quick as they returned to the street. "You never answered my question," I commented, dread filling my stomach. Was it normal in their world to consider kidnapping someone? In my world that would land your ass in prison, clearly not theirs. "No," Blake finally replied after seconds of silence, and that alone almost makes me doubt his response.

"Did Kai say something to you?" The question effortlessly left my mouth before my brain caught up. Once again Blake shot me a look, but this time it remained emotionless— that's one thing him and his brother have in common, their ease to show no emotion. How is that humanly possible? I show all my emotions through my facial expressions, it's the norm. And yet people like Kai and Blake Bliss are anything but normal. "Like what?" Blake asked with a smirk, he knew what I was thinking, whether it was real or not.

"Why don't you start a conversation?" I said with clear confusion, "we sat in silence for fifteen minutes, and you obviously weren't going to say anything," I stated. I shouldn't feel hurt about it, but I am. At the end of the day, despite the situation, Blake is my brother in law now. We're somewhat of a family, and yet he doesn't try to act like I am anything but a stranger to him. "What would I say anything? I prefer silence," Blake commented instead of answering my own question. That's another thing I've noticed about him and Kai, they answer in a form of a question, rather than simply giving a response.

It's frustrating, the riddles that can't be solved.

"Because we're family now," I said in a pathetic whisper, family and the topic of such has always been a sensitive subject for myself. With my own family being M.I.A for the rest of my teens and onwards, I've always had the desire to get back what I had when I was a child. Marrying Kai, somewhat gave me that aspect and feeling back, I know... Crazy of me to believe.

"Don't," Blake said, his one word alone crushes any hope I had. "Don't what?" I asked, pushing for an answer, a real one this time. "Get attached, I don't stay around long, and especially don't get attached to Kai," Blake explained with ease, the answer already thought threw. "You may be married and that is a lifetime commitment, but don't expect him to be something he isn't— he can't be what you want or need," his words ringing in my ears because I know it's the truth.