-Chapter 5-

Tw/cw: swearing, child abuse, self harm, f slur

-----------------------

Finney felt his stomach fill with excitement and nervousness as he dressed himself in his baseball uniform. Today was friday, the day of the big game. He stuffed his spaceship flashlight in his pocket for good luck and exited the locker rooms.

***

The count was tied and Finney had to be the one to break the balanced score. He was pitching, and Bruce Yamada was up to bat. Bruce was a popular boy with luscious and thick dark brown, almost black hair. It was parted down the middle and the side bangs drifted down to the boy's deep brown eyes. His eyes were surrounded by his flawless light brown skin. Finney has only been around for about 2-3 weeks but it's a small town. Bruce was popular for his sweet personality but he was especially popular with the girls. Although even if he got 5 confessions in one week alone, Finney noticed he's never really dated any girls.

'Maybe he's- stop. Shut up. Stop looking for someone to relate to.'

He felt his stomach twist with anxiety. But not just anxiety, he felt nauseous from the burning sensation on his wrist. He hoped it wouldn't distract him. Finney might be the best pitcher on his team but Bruce is probably the best baseball player in North Denver. Finney walks back a bit, digs his shoe into the ground and throws the ball. The ball passes Bruce as he tries to swing at it.

Strike 1.

Finney catches the ball from his teammate and throws the ball again. It passes Bruce.

Strike 2.

Just one more strike and Finney can win the game for his team. As he throws the ball again his head jerks to see Vance leaning against the bench shed watching. Finney feels like a rocket ascending to space and slowly he crashes as he looks back at Bruce who just hit the ball.
'Damn it.'

He runs after the ball and tries catching it in his mitt but it falls over the fence. Finney looks back at where Vance stood and sees no one.

'He must've left. Or I'm going insane,' he thought.

Finney walks back to the two teams which were congratulating each other and repeating 'good game.' He walks to the end of the other line and meets up with Bruce.
"Your arm is mint," The cinnamon boy started, smiling. "You almost had me," he finished. Finney nodded with a slight smile and left with, 'good game.'

***

It's Saturday morning and Finney decided to launch his rocket. It had been a while since he had launched it and he wanted to today no matter the consequences at home. He was holding the little remote control in his hands and was preparing his rocket in the launcher. He stepped back and started counting down from ten and pressed the little red button. The rocket shot up in the air and freed the parachute before dropping itself down very slowly. The space obsessed teenager watched it fall, his brown eyes glistening with excitement.

Finney was making his way home and couldn't help but feel as if someone was watching him. He turned his head to look behind him and saw a black van with the words 'abracadabra' positioned on it in blue spray paint. He shook it off and made his way up the steps to his door. He opened the door and closed it. As soon as he closed it he got punched in the face by his drunken father causing him to make a loud 'thud' on the door.

Vance saw Finney walking to his house when the blonde turned a corner on the way to the Grab n Go. He ignored the sketchy van behind him. He watched as Finney walked up his doorsteps and closed the door behind him. He passed the house but jerked his head back to the door at what sounded like a body being shoved into the door followed by incoherent yelling. Although he was skeptical he ignored it and continued his path to the Grab n Go.

***

Today was Sunday and Finney could feel his heart rip open as he knocked on Vance's door. Finney waited a bit and there wasn't an answer so he assumed no one was there and turned around. Though he was interrupted by an unyielding grip on his shoulder as he walked down the first step and heard Vance's deep voice say,
"Where are you going?"

He spoke with a firm tone. Finney turned around and lifted his head to meet eyes with Vance who had just woken up from a long afternoon nap.
"Sorry, no one answered so I didn't think anyone was here." Finney said in a soft voice while breaking eye contact.
Vance sighed and said, "Well come in I guess."

He had said this in an annoyed way but Finney tried to ignore it because at this point anything could set him off into a full blown panic attack. The shorter teenager entered the house through the screen door and took a couple glances around. To the left of the door was the dining room and further up the dining room was the kitchen. There was a wall separating the kitchen and living room. To the right of the door was the living room and in the 7-8 ft distance along the living room was the hallway. Vance led Finney all the way down the hall passing the bathroom into his bedroom. Vance opened the door and left it open for Finney. The walls were blank with no personality and his floor had a generous helping of dirty clothes. In the top right corner of the room was Vance's bed and in the left corner was his desk.

"So, where are your parents?" Finney asked, recognizing the emptiness of the house.
"Six feet deep, dipshit. I live with my uncle." Vance responded.
"Oh.. Sorry."

Vance tilted his head gesturing to Finney to sit on the bed. Finney sat criss cross and plopped his school bag in his lap, unzipping it.
"So, what subjects do you need help with?"
"Ugh. Can't you just do my homework for me?" Vance said, sprawling out on his bed.
"I'd prefer not-"
"Math, history, and science." Vance sighed out.
Finney's eyes lit up at the last word. Science was his strong suit and he loved it.
"Which one do you want to start with the-"
"I don't care, you pick." Vance said, cutting Finney off.
The younger teenager decided on math and they had been working on it for about thirty minutes or so.
"So now, solve for X." Finney said, looking back at a clearly bored teenager who scoffed and replied with,
"Ugh I don't fucking know.. 9?"
"You got it right." Finney said, slightly smiling.
"Yippee." Vance responded, in a sarcastic tone.

***

It was now 7:00 P.M. and Finney eventually fell asleep. Vance didn't mind at first, happy to get away from history and science but at one point Finney's head fell on Vances shoulder. Vance looked over to him and scoffed but shortly after he caught himself staring. He took in Finney's features, curly brown hair that fell to his chin, freckles that scattered his face like stars, and long brown eyelashes. Vance lost his breath and immediately got pissed as he thought,
'What the fuck am I staring for??? Oh my- Okay that's it.'

"Finn, wake the fuck up," Vance said. Finney rubbed his eyes and lifted his head as he looked up at Vance.
"Get out of my goddamn house." The taller teen said, clearly in a bad mood. Finney looked at Vance confused and asked,
"Did I do something wr-"
"Just get the fuck out," Vance interrupted.

Finney, obviously concerned, slowly got down from the bed and packed his stuff up silently. Finney left that night, confused as to why he got kicked out but there was one thing he couldn't keep off his mind on his walk home,

'He called me Finn.'