Chapter 6

841AD

The journal of Brynhild the Bold

We were attacked. 11 of our 45 warriors were killed. This is why these cities have held out for so long. They ambush people. We managed to kill a few of them, and the rest we took prisoner. Some of us just wanted to kill them all outright, but the rest of us argued that we can use the as slaves, as we couldn't bring any thralls with us.

I have a personal problem with one of them, as he killed one of my special friends. Of course he still didn't know that I was a girl, but over these last 2 months he has been someone I have been able to talk to. I'm really going to miss him. I swear to his ghost that I personally will avenge him. I still haven't seen his killer up close, but I know which one he is. He is the one with the scruffy dark chocolate brown hair, and the clothes that look the oldest. He also looks like he is the strongest. I hope it is insulting his dignity, to be made to do jobs such as a thrall would have to do, because surely he can't be a thrall, if he is fighting. though perhaps the customs are different in this country.

I will go now, and set him working at all my old jobs, like cleaning all the dishes we use for our meals. I think I will also offer to take their meals to them, and make sure that he gets less than the rest of them. I will not rest until he has suffered as much as I will now suffer, with no friends at all. He will soon wish that we had killed him, but I won't give him the solace of death. He will survive.

Brynhild the Bold