Chapter 22 - An Unexpected Change

''I'm coming for YOU!'' 

''Kokichi, get out!'' 

''Achoo!'' 

''You're so FREAKING CUTE!'' 

''Ahem. . . Himiko, stop touching me, or you will - achoo!'' 

Such were the noises of their struggle as Himiko tried to, unsuccessfully, stave off Kokichi, who, despite their closeness, managed to evade her gripping and shoving with remarkable finesse. Yet, in all this confusion, neither noticed that the shoving pushed the bed away from the wall enough for Kokichi to eventually fall into the gap between it and the wall. 

''Damn it. See what you've done,'' he grumbled, swinging his arms in pretended helplessness before pushing the bed away; the dull humming that followed as the stands moved slowly on the floor filled the dorm. 

''Hello? Himiko. . . are you alright?'' Tenko asked groggily, masked by the dorm's complete darkness. 

''Sorry for that, Tenko. . . I was. . .'' Himiko gathered her thoughts but didn't have any good ideas, and so the bad ones had to be tried: ''I. . . I was snoring, Tenko. . . I'm sorry.'' She went red, burning in suffocating embarrassment, thinking of ways she could avenge herself after hearing Kokichi chuckle briefly. 

''Aw, don't worry about that. . . I never heard you do that before. . . but I guess you just can't control it,'' Tenko said, certainly meaning no harm, but Himiko felt too ashamed to bear hearing anything else about it. 

''Thanks, good night again,'' she replied tersely and waited for Tenko to fall asleep; that came about shortly, prompting Himiko to renew her assault on Kokichi, who was now mucking about under the bed. 

''Why so angry?'' He asked mockingly. 

''I had to tell Tenko that I was snoring!'' 

''What's so bad about that? Happens to everyone; boys and girls alike!''

''But I don't snore!'' 

''Well, now Tenko thinks that you do: tough luck.''

Himiko reached under the bed, snatching air indignantly, and then the reason for smuggling Kokichi returned to her; worry diminishing some of her anger – not the growing desire for vengeance. 

''Are you feeling better?'' 

''I. . . won't tell you'' 

''What? Why?'' 

''Because you pushed me out of the bed.'' 

''Yes, I did, because this bed is MINE. Besides, you can't. . . sleep with me.''