Chapter 21 - Makeover

The dormitory felt stiff and eerily quiet; at this hour, it was unlikely for anyone to be still up, but Himiko remained wary of the usual suspects who could prove her wrong. 

Kokichi slipped into the bag right before the emergency exit, lest doing so inside made too much noise. Regardless: he was a bit heavy; and, in the space of a few meters Himiko had already traversed, she was forced to break frequently to take a breath before hoisting the bag with her trembling hands again: an arduous task that, fortunately, didn't last long. Kokichi's frolicsome bantering also subsided once he was inside the bag, perhaps an admission of the seriousness of this situation on his part, though Himiko saw it as no less ridiculous, wondering all the while why he insisted on staying undercover so stubbornly. 

Putting the Kokichi-sack down, she fumbled for her dorm key. That was when the door was violently thrown open, a haggard and miserable looking face glaring out of the darkness. Himiko winced, nearly yelped and stared back at the figure; her fear soothed once she discerned Tenko's Neo-Aikido stance: now rendered into a pitiful parody by the encroaching sleepiness. 

''Tenko?'' Himiko started softly and furrowed her brows. 

''What? Himiko?'' The girl said hoarsely, almost whispering; then her face brightened, limbs loosened from the stance before she rushed forward to hug Himiko. ''Himiko, where have you been? Everyone's been worried about you! Sakura, Maki and Rantaro spent a lot of time looking for you, you know? But I searched, too, Himiko (although I did that while taking regular bathroom breaks to cry because I thought you ran away – but that doesn't matter)!''

''Why did you guys worry so much? I was only gone for a little while.'' That other students cared about her felt pleasant to know, yet Himiko also felt guilty that her rendezvous with Kokichi resulted in such a general mess. 

''A little while, Himiko? I don't even want to look at the time to prove you wrong. I'm sorry, Himiko, but, as your roommate, I cannot allow you to go out at this hour, especially not here where a pack of wolves could come out of the forest at any second! They would eat you, Himiko - don't you understand?'' 

''I don't think that there are wolves in the forest. . .'' 

''That's what they want you to think: degenerate wolves; waiting for a helpless, innocent girl to unknowingly stroll into their territory before ambushing her and eating not only her, but all the pastries the girl was carrying to her grandmother!'' 

''I'm pretty sure that's a story I've heard somewhere before. . .''

''Well, story or not, it doesn't change the fact that wandering at this hour is always dangerous!'' Tenko gasped, released Himiko from her embrace, and blinked confusedly at the bag on the ground. ''Is this yours, Himiko?''

Noticing her friend's hand slowly moving towards it, Himiko grasped the loose end again and shuffled to the side in an attempt to guard it. 

''I can't tell you what's inside,'' she said, lowering down her hat while looking at her own feet.

''What do you mean? Is it like a surprise, or does it have to do something with your magic?''