Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Chance held a finger to my lips, effectively silencing me.

"It's okay. I understand."

"But I led you on." Nothing about this was okay. I'd chickened out. I thought I wanted this, but in all honesty I was scared.

"You only have one first time. Wait till you're ready," With those final words, Chance grabbed his shirt and left the room.

~

I slept like shit that night.

The room was far too hot and the sheets stuck to my skin. Every time I closed my eyes, Chance's face would flash in my mind.

I regret leading him on, but I didn't regret stopping. Chance was right. It was my first time. I needed to be sure I was ready. After all, it was the most personal, intimate choice I'd make in my life.

There was no denying the attraction I felt towards Chance, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my virginity out of lust.

I wanted something real and raw. Something that consumed my mind and body.

I didn't want to be a one-night fuck.

I wanted Chance to make love to me.

~

It was currently noon and we were on our way to stakeout Miguel's compound. Chance was driving and this time, Cooper sat in the front seat because he needed to navigate us to the drug hideout.

Both boys seemed more tense than usual. Even I was slightly nervous. My fingers kept fidgeting with my clothes and a bead of sweat dripped down my back.

Before we left, both boys took stock of the weapons. Cooper carried two guns, one strapped to an ankle holster and the other shoved into the waistband of his cargo pants.

Chance had a gun tucked in his waistband too along with a menacing looking knife. I didn't miss the extra switchblade he threw in his pocket either.

Chance thought it would be smart for me to carry some sort of weapon even though it was highly unlikely I'd need it. I didn't feel comfortable with a gun in the waistband of the pants Chance insisted that I wear, so I settled on a taser. I threw a pocket knife in my pack pocket too. It was good to be prepared.

We were outside of Miami now. Trees and dense swamp surrounded us. Most likely we were in the Everglades. Awhile back we turned on a dirt road and since then, I hadn't seen another car.

"How far away are we?" I asked.

Chance's eyes met mine int he rear view mirror and I quickly diverted my gaze. After last night's events, the air between us was a tad awkward. Our shift in demeanor didn't go unnoticed by Cooper and I knew he was dying to figure out what was going on.