"There's no way that's the same herd." Daryl's gruff tone filled with disbelief.

Aaron groans, "they got us cut off." Jesus and Aaron help Eugene stand, with Daryl clearing a path ahead of them.  I spin the swords in my hands, taking up the rear like old times. I came here to bring him home, I'll be damned if he goes down over this herd that just won't leave the poor man alone.

We quickly put as much distance between ourselves and the herd hunting us down like prey

We quickly put as much distance between ourselves and the herd hunting us down like prey. Now finding ourselves at a crossroads, I peer up at the sky; storm billowing and crashing around us - it's like Mother Nature herself is telling us to get out of here as fast as we can. This night is far from over.

I close my eyes for a moment; of course as soon as I return to the fold, everything hits the fucking wall. Maybe I'm fucking cursed. However, I hope this is a one time thing; but I can't make myself and soul believe it.

I crack my eyes open at the sound of the raised voices around me, dragging me back to the current problem. "It doesn't make any sense." Jesus shakes his head, "they shouldn't have doubled back like that, and they definitely shouldn't have followed us all the way to the barn."

"I do have a theory to posit. The walkers are evolving." Eugene breaths out.

"Oh, that's bullshit." Daryl snarls.

"Now hold on Daryl; it's a sound theory." I raise my hand, giving him my full attention for the first time. He takes a step back, watching me carefully, caught off guard by my actions. "I had a similar thought when we saw the herd for the first time. Crazier things have happened; you know, like the dead walking around. We've been evolving for thousands of years for survival; why wouldn't they?"

"They're dead, they're not evolving." Jesus points out, trying to make sense of our current situation.

"Thank you, Vanessa." Eugene offers, facing Jesus and Daryl, "being dead hasn't exactly stopped them from perambulating ad infinitum, though, has it? They're not dead in any sense that makes sense. It takes an impact to the cranium to stop them, which means the brain is alive, degraded as it may be. And if it's alive, it can change. Maybe even start to remember things, too, like how to talk."

Daryl cocks his head "what?" I chuckle at his reaction. No one has ever accused me to being serious in dire moments. It helps break the tension while everyone else is losing their shit. At least that part of me hasn't changed.

"It's not any crazier than the dead being alive in the first place. If they can learn to talk, maybe they can learn strategy and how to hunt." Jesus finally seeing what Eugene was trying to say.

Aaron chooses that moment to barrel out of the woods, meeting the rest of us at the crossroads. "They're right on our asses. We've gotta get to the horses fast."

Eugene panics, returning to wailing, "you have to leave me behind. I'm slowing you down and tiring you out. Every time we stop, the dead get closer."

"No," I snarl, rounding on him, red beginning to dance into my vision. I feel the person I became and buried after Owen stir at the anger setting my soul and flesh ablaze. Swords still tight within my grasp.  "I came out of hiding to drag your ass back. We're not going home without you."