Done Fighting

The next morning, I decided to explore the house we were in. It was in a quaint little neighborhood on the edge of whatever town we where in. It was a large house, (Bigger than I'd ever lived in) so I decided that, if we were going to be living there a while, that I might as well get to know it.

I found a library and decided to postpone my exploration to read a little. I grabbed a random book and sat down in one of th chairs.

Apparently I had grabbed The Fault In Our Stars. I never got the chance to read it, but I heard really good things about it.

Before I even got to Gus's death, Carl had to come in and ruin everything.

He looked at my book and rolled his eyes. "Really?"

I decided to ignore him. I was done fighting. Especially since I had just developed feelings for him. I've never ignored him before, this should be fun.

He scoffed and sat down in the chair in front of me. I glanced up and saw him reading Romeo and Juliet. Seriously?

I put my bookmark on page 204 and set it on the table beside me. I guess Carl thought I was going to talk to him, because he put his book down too.

I, silently, got up and picked another book from the shelf. The Duff.

I sat back down and Carl almost fell out of the chair when he saw what was in my hands.

"The Duff? Really? That's worse than The Fault In Our Stars!" He exclaimed.

I stayed silent.

"What? No witty comeback?" He mocked.

I said nothing.

"Dude, really? You aren't talking to me?" I could tell I was getting under his skin.

"Serenity? Talk to me."

I sighed. He'd had enough. "I'm done fighting."

"What?" He asked, genuinely confused, but glad I said something.

"We don't talk. We fight. And I'm done fighting you." I said, looking back at the book.

"We don't always fight." He said, softly.

I looked up again. "Name once."

"Right now."

"Right now doesn't count." I said, flatly, and looking back at the book.

"Violet." He said. I didn't know what he meant. Or who "Violet" was.

"What?"

"Violet. The pig, back at the prison. Remember that time with her?"

I thought back and remembered what he was talking about.