Chapter 41: Disintegrate

Start from the beginning

It was dark, but in a way that sharpened her senses. Small man made ponds were randomly scattered throughout the layer, with lilypads lit up by lotuses that resembled fire. They brought a little warmth to the otherwise freezing landscape.

Small, traditional bridges were built over the channels connecting the ponds. They were lit with small lanterns that had handholds. Radioactive lifted one of them off it's post, and it glowed brighter.

She could see the bridges in the distance, connected by stone paved paths that also glowed in the dark.

If not for the situation, she would've found this aesthetic.

Unlike the skylight zone, the twilight zone was quiet.

Radioactive didn't like quiet. Quiet meant unpredictable, quiet meant strong enemies who could hide their presence.

She raised the lantern higher, illuminating the dark water under the bridge.

Something flashed in the water. Like a spark of flame.

Radioactive crouched down, staring at the spot.

Is... that a... tail?

Oh shit it's a snake. A glow in the dark water snake.

What the fuck is this place?

It's head peaked out from out of the water, staring right at her.

'If you see a untamed snake, don't look it in the eyes. Provoking it is dangerous.' Solus's voice rang in her head.

Radioactive looked away. The snakes head rise higher.

She had the urge to butcher it. She gritted her teeth, staring intensely at the snake's glowing reflection.

But with snakes like this, who are genetically engineered, who knows what it can do? For all she knows, it might spray poison gas when killed.

So she sat still.

The snake blinked once.

Radioactive blinked.

It's head lowered back down into the water.

She breathed out a sigh of frustration as she stood up.

She continued, lowering the lantern so it rested at her side. As she stepped onto the first rock imbedded into the earth, it lit up brighter. She immediately raised her foot and the light dimmed.

Radioactive decided to walk to the right of the path to avoid detection. If anyone was watching her, they would've been able to tell that she's new to the Undergrounds.

She shouldn't have skipped the undercover unit back then. She shouldn't have skipped any of the units.

Back then, she always thought tricks were for the weak. That overwhelming strength  beats trickery on any day.

She thought wrong.

Radioactive may hold the seraph of Kirai, but she was no different than a pawn. She was tied to the ground. She would never reach the heights of Shinigami or even Iceberg.

Hell, there were so many people who were stronger,  so much more sky-bound than her. People who left their pasts behind.

Each memory that Radioactive refused to forget ties her down.

Whereas for people like Iceberg, hell, even Solus, they are heartless.

The only people who are able to truly soar are those with a strong mental fortitude and a complete disregard for others.

Someone who only cared about one thing, huh.

Radioactive was anything but that. She was almost like a teenager when compared to Shinigami.

In many ways, she was still a teenager. She feels too passionately, too violent.

Radioactive was still just a naive child.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the stones that made up the roads, along with glowing spheres stuck to the ceiling lit up the entire layer as bright as day.

She stumbled backwards in surprise, blinking rapidly.

What sounded like trumpets blared.

Radioactive whipped around, staring as the train station's door opened half a mile away.

Battered assassins exited, a aroura of excitement can be detected in the way they shifted and smiled at each other.

Her heart sank as she spotted a iron cage, draped quarter down by a sheet of brown cloth.

Her hearing wasn't the best, but she swore she heard the shout.

"Lady Kyozo! The mission was a success!"

You may be thinking, who the hell is Kyozo? Chapters 'trio' and 'demon' might remind you
(Shes one of the assassins who fought Radioactive)
Meme