I was standing there taking his words in while he walked out of the room. Antonio was always the one to treat me with the most decency and yet I always thought he liked me the least. But maybe...that wasn't true after all.

One thing I was starting to learn the more I was staying here was that it all was a grey area. There was no white nor black in this lifestyle. Only the zone in between...the zone we know all existed in.

...

I find myself curled in an armchair reading in the library of the mansion. The only place in here that I actually feel at peace. I didn't have the chance to finish school but even if I did I doubt any of that knowledge would help me survive a life like this. Yet I am good at reading, I'm good at memorising and I'm good at listening. Perks of growing up in a house where you have no right to speak.

I go through the pages with such greed I almost forget for a minute that I have to get ready for the wedding. I was so consumed by the variety of poisons someone can find...I should be taking notes. Some of this might save me one day...

Vito: Well, well.

I slam the book closed the second I hear Vitto's voice.

Vito: I thought you'd be helping my niece to get ready.

Camilla: I would but Matteo insisted we make an entrance together.

Vito: Of course he did.

The man smirked cockily caressing his beard. He was dressed head to toe like an older Armani model but even under the layer of the fancy appearance you could see that man was anything but a gentleman.

Vito: My son has undoubtedly developed a liking in you, which if I'm being honest is so unlike him!

He slowly approaches me sitting across me on an armchair similar to mine. I instinctively hug the book tighter only for him to notice and his smile to get wider.

Vito: But I don't understand why. Maybe you can help me with that.

I flinch as he walks closer to me determined to keep my answers brief.

Camilla: He finds me amusing.

Vito: That's your explanation?

Camilla: Yes.

Vito: I am not satisfied with that. You know Camilla I grew up learning how to become a leader. My father grew up the same way and we continued the same logic in our bloodline creating this empire.

The way that man said my name send chills down my spine and not in a pleasant way. But I kept the facade of braveness digging my nails in the cover of the book.

Vito: But none of us chose the woman they'd marry. Our marriages were of convenience or to get more power. So I can't help and wonder, why my son chose an outsider like you, a kid, a junkie's daughter to become his wife?

Vito avoided me when we crossed ways on the hallways or he'd cast me the most judgemental look like I was even below the whores of the house. And right now he was actually sitting across me, asking me questions I didn't have the answers for.