Chapter 8

Camilla's POV

He doesn't give me time to change or object. I find myself following him to his car, always accompanied by an army of guards following him around in SUVs. It's almost comical how every citizen in Italy knows what those cars mean.

Matteo: Ladies first.

Matteo opens the door for me but that only adds to his mockery. I know his men would give their lives for me but not because they like me, in fact I know the majority hates me! But Matteo makes them think it would be more considerate to take their own lives than disobey an order he gave. And I won't lie...this kind of power he possesses over them it's almost- impressive!

Camilla: Where are we going?

Matteo: It's a surprise although I gave you a hint.

Camilla: That you'll show me what you do to people who don't listen to you?

Matteo: Something like that.

He fastens his seatbelt and I focus his eyes on the road all while having that smug smile on his face.

Camilla: Can I ask you a question Matteo?

Matteo: "Can I", what is that? Asking for permission I see, that's a first!

He chuckles to himself but I simply look at him with sincere curiosity.

Camilla: How does it feel?

Matteo: What exactly?

Camilla: To have this much power. Over human beings, over their lives! One day you are in my house and the next I do not exist. My school don't even ask where I am and I bet anyone who did got a pretty convincing answer. And the law?! Let's not pretend shall we?! You are the fucking law! Nobody can touch you...you play around with people and their lives for your own entertainment.

Silence.

I dare to glance at his face as he drives only to see his eyes empty. His fingers clench around the steering wheel so hard his knuckles turn white. And when he finally says something his tone is low and angry at the same time. But it feels like he has it under complete control.

Matteo: That's not a question.

Camilla: The first part was.

Matteo: You don't understand half of it Camilla.

I feel my fingertips go numb as he takes out my name almost with a disappointment in his voice.

Matteo: But you'll learn. I trust you will.

Camilla: And what if I don't?

I haven't realized how much time we were in the car or what kind of road we've taken, I only know at some point he stops the car and turns to look at me.

Matteo: You said it before mio fiore...You have no other choice.

He is right and I hate it. But I really don't seem to have any other choice.