.𝟒𝟎 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

Start from the beginning

The door to the padded room creaked open but Nyx didn't need to lift her head to know who was coming in to visit her. "Rise and shine, my dear!" The anger within her heart doubled at the cheer lacing the Handler's voice. "Time to lift the fog surrounding your mind and open your sweet eyes to face the world." Her footsteps seemed to echo throughout the empty room as she stepped closer. Nyx's eyes narrowed into a harsh glare as the Handler continued to sing the words she used to recite to a younger version of Nyx every morning. Her brown eyes slowly lifted from where they had been trained on the ground to take in the sight of the woman now standing above her. 

The light highlighted every tiny horror resting on her face, emphasizing the evil behind her eyes. Even with the door open, there wasn't a single ounce of darkness in the room. The lights above purged it before it could even think to enter. Yet that didn't stop it from pooling together outside of the room, pleading with Nyx to gift it life. But no matter how much she wanted to grant the shadows their wish, she couldn't. 

The Handler's curled white hair had been tucked back neatly behind her ears, two silver pins keeping the strands perfectly in place. Purple and gold had surprisingly been her choice of color to re-enter the world of commission from her demoted exile. For what it symbolized, Nyx wasn't entirely sure but every little detail meant something with the woman. The outfit itself was one Nyx would rather be burned alive in than seen out in public wearing. She looked utterly ridiculous in the ghastly clash of color. But Nyx supposed her mum always did have a certain flair for dramatics. 

The Handler drew her cigarette to her mouth, a smile slowly creeping up her lips as she bent down to get closer to the girl she once considered to be her daughter. The gold leather gloves covering her hands scratched Nyx's skin despite how gentle her touch was as she moved a strand of hair out of her face. "You have quite the day ahead of you, Nyx."

Nyx set her jaw, her chin lifting slightly as she allowed her eyes to show the true weight of her fury. Her features adorned nothing short of defiance as she met the Handler's stare. "Throw around your threats." She encouraged, her voice holding a low tone. "Your words are meaningless to me, mum." Venom laced the word as it spat from her lips. "I am your servant no longer."

The Handler scoffed, her smile faltering for a fraction of a second. She should have known better than to expect complete acceptance from the girl. Nyx had a knack for smiling in the face of the devil no matter the situation she was placed in. "No," She agreed with a slow nod of her head. Her hand stroked softly down Nyx's cheek until it rested beneath her chin. She harshly grabbed onto her skin, forcing her to face her as she coldly reminded, "But you are my prisoner. To do with whatever I please, may a remind you." Her smile dropped completely this time as she finished with, "Your little magic tricks can't save you this time."

Nyx's voice turned cold as she reminded, "I've surpassed death before." A smug smirk tugged at the corners of her lips at the Handler's obvious annoyance in her retaliation. "This world just can't seem to get enough of me."

The Handler's lip twitched in a scowl at her words. "Do try and remember it was I who brought you back, you arrogant little shit." She ripped her hand away from Nyx's chin before taking a drag of her cigarette. "I slaved away in nursing you back to health for nearly two months and you repay me with nothing but ungratefulness."

Nyx snapped, her hold on her anger dropping completely as it rushed into her features and laced her voice. "You lied to me!" She yelled, the sudden spike in her voice causing the Handler to shake her head. "Manipulated me into playing your game!"