219: Can We Breathe?

Start from the beginning

"Deal," He let himself seem lighter, "I want food...maybe play some of your records?"

Josh's eyes gleamed, "You want a birthday party."

"My birthday's been and gone."

"It was exactly a week ago," MJ shut down, "Let's celebrate it."

"Guys – "

"I can go get balloons," Pri suggested, "Or streamers, or bunting?"

"Yeah!" MJ encouraged, "You get decorations; I go buy food so we can do team-up cooking."

Sam gave her another look.

"If you'd rather not, that's fine, but you know you loved cooking."

He sighed, "True."

"Josh gets booze."

"And I do what?" He paused mid-stair climb, "Lie in your room until I don't wanna kill somebody?"

"I assure you that our place is stocked full of blood," Josh patted him on the back, "Plus, so many runes on the wall mean no worry about street noise."

"If you really don't want it, we won't," MJ promised, "But wouldn't it be nice to celebrate a little."

MJ knew how much she hadn't wanted to celebrate her birthday, but doing so had ended up being the right call. Sam was struggling? That was fine. They, as his friends, just couldn't let him get stuck in the bad place.

"I'll call Cami and Hayley – unless..."

Kol had mentioned their little chat about pack tensions to her.

"Call her," He encouraged, "I'm more pissed at Jackson, but she's got Hope, so probably can't dip – "

"Mothers can have fun!" MJ unlocked their door, "You wanna come in?"

"Pretty sure that's not how it works," Sam teased.

"Nope," Josh had his phone out, "This is how it works."

Tyler's voice in the air, "You can come in."

"No way that works!" Sam tried not to laugh.

"Try it," MJ stuck her chin up.

His toes awkwardly pushed over the threshold, mouth opening at the lack of pushback.

"Mystic Falls ran off a voice note of me last year," She teased, "It works – and it's smart."

"Regroup in twenty?" Josh suggested.

"You don't have to help," Sam eyed up Pri.

"Any chance to party, I'm in," She assured him, "Plus, I'm here to get to know you guys."

MJ's different worlds.

"Name a better way to do that than getting a little supernaturally tipsy?"