...Cheers?

Gwen sat on her living room floor with a bottle of whiskey in front of her. She stared through the dark brown liquid for a good five minutes before deciding she didn't want to drink alone. It was a Friday night; what the hell was she doing? She certainly didn't want to mope around any longer about what Blake did to her. If I'm angry, he wins, she thought. She stood up and grabbed her phone from the kitchen countertop.

"Best nightclubs in Toronto," Gwen mumbled as she typed those words into the search bar. The first result was The Night Owl. "Of course, how could I forget?" She slid her phone into her back pocket before grabbing her purse and leather jacket.

It took a fifteen-minute drive before Gwen's truck pulled into a parking space. She stepped out of the car and locked the door. Who knows what kind of weirdos are out here this time of night?

Gwen didn't plan on drinking much—maybe two drinks, and then she would go after a couple of hours. What she really needed was company, and she got good at recognizing that instead of entirely relying on alcohol.

Gwen opened the door, and loud music filled her ears. She had to squint to see where she was walking due to all the smoke from the vape and the smoke machine in the far left corner. She looked up and saw multicolored lights on the ceiling. That's exactly what this place smells like, she thought with an inward snicker.

Gwen eventually found her way to the bar and nearly stumbled over one of the stools. "Why are these things so low to the ground?" She muttered, staring at the floor.

"We're working on buying new barstools," A voice answered. "And by the way, those lemon vapes are the worst. They're really taking up the air tonight. I prefer watermelon."

Gwen furrowed her eyebrows and looked up. "—Geoff? Is that you?"

Geoff glanced at her, then beamed. "Whoa! Gwen?! Dudette, it's great to see you again!"

"I can't believe you...you work here?" She asked, taking a seat.

"Yeah. Been here for two years now. I earned the title of assistant manager." Geoff proudly showed off his silver name tag. "The rest of the employees get sticker name tags only, so it's a pretty sweet upgrade."

Gwen laughed. "Sounds like quite the upgrade."

"You here to get drinks?" He asked.

"Yeah," she nodded. "But only a couple. I'm not trying to get sick tonight."

"Oh, I totally get you," Geoff chuckled. "I'm partying after my shift."

"Wow, they let you do that here?"

"Hell yeah, baby!" Geoff whooped. "This place is awesome!"

Gwen shook her head with a smile. Nothing about him had changed besides the evident slight aging. "Hmm, I'll take a Vodka Martini."

"Comin' right up!" Geoff spun around and started on the drink.

She sighed quietly to herself. Ok, Gwen. Remember to control yourself. You're here to have fun and talk to people, not get blackout drunk.

"So, what've you been up to?" Geoff asked her while he mixed the drink.

"Oh, not much," Gwen told him, studying the chipped paint on the table.

Geoff turned back around. "Here is your drink," he said, bowing playfully.

Gwen took the cocktail with a light chuckle. "Thanks."

"Any time." Geoff rested his forearm on the table, scanning the area to see if any customers were coming. "Alright, back on the topic: I think you've been up to way more than you say you have." He needed someone to tell him a story—anything to get his mind off Bridgette. His job worked as a distraction, but it only took his attention away so much. Talking to people was his best bet for now.