[ 2 ]

As the years flew by, days on the lake grew shorter and further in-between.

     The young girl, now grown, sat in the warm afternoon sun atop a winding branch of her favorite tree. She was a vision to behold- skin glowing due to the light shining down upon her and body perfectly posed in a picture of serenity against the rough bark on which she lied.  

     She groaned out of boredom, flopping her arms to the side and shattering the illusion. 

     "Eddie, would you please just finish with that stupid trap? It's been an hour and you still haven't entertained me." The girl twisted her body around on the rough bark to make intense eye contact with the boy.

     Eddie ignored her and continued working.

     "Eddieeeeeeee, you can't ignore me foreverrrrr..." she threw a stick at him, grinning at the surprised yelp he made as it connected and bounced off of his head.

     The teenage boy turned around to face her with a deep scowl, ready with a strong lecture about her behavior, but suddenly his hard expression diminished. Her face gazed down at him with an angelic smile, the sun hitting just the right angle behind her to make it seem like she was glowing. Eddie's face flushed red and he quickly turned away again, clearing his throat.

     "I'm just about finished, darling. You can survive just a few more minutes of this unending torture, can't you?" The boy charmed, a hidden smile gracing his face at the annoyed groan his companion let out at his words.

     "Fine, fine, but you better promise that it'll be done soon. I'll hit you again, don't test me," the girl joked.

     "Of course, darling. I promise," he spoke absentmindedly, once again engrossed in his work.

     The girl got comfortable on her branch once more, closing her eyes and enjoying the warm sun on her skin. A deep melody carried through the air until it reached her ears, its haunting sound low and clear. 

     She peeked an eye open, turning her head just enough to glance at Eddie as he hummed for her. Well, saying that it was for her was a bit of a stretch, he often mumbled little songs when distracted, but she liked to think that it was something he did only in front of her. In her mind, it was a testament to how much trust they held with each other.

     "Done!" He announced triumphantly, ceasing his beautiful song.

     "Oh thank goodness, I thought you were going to keep me here for another week before you finally finished that complicated little thing," the girl rolled her eyes as he stuck his tongue out at her, "Very mature, Gluskin." He smirked cheekily at her.

     "Well now that I've completed my harrowing task of the day, what is it that you'd like to do?" Eddie sat down on the leaf-covered ground next to his trap, patting the ground next to him with a hand.