NINE

Eriola Idowu

It is so terrible to know no one can be on your side. I kept crying till I got home and met mummy Tayo in the sitting room with Ini.

"So this one have not gone home". I muttered and just gave a slight nod to acknowledge mummy Tayo. She looked at me knowing something was up and decided to ask.

"Kilosele? (What happened)". Mummy Tayo asked me worried.

I started explaining everything to her and I was even crying oo, that's how she came and started beating me on the back saying I shouldn't be causing trouble.

"Is that what I taught you? Always stay away from trouble. Ma gboran (Always be obedient)". She said as she kept beating my back.

I was so pained. She is my mother, she should be on my side. Every other mothers will vex and go to school to para for them but no, instead she was here beating me.

Instead of allowing her hit me any further, I just went into my room and locked it from behind. Even though I might pay for it later, I just needed space from everybody.

I cried my eyes out for hours. When Iniola returned from school and I refused to open the door, mummy Tayo came to shout at me.

"Better open the door or is it there you want to be living forever?" I did not answer her sha.

It was already evening and I was still inside, hungry but angry. She still came to meet me again.

"You will not eat abi? If you don't come out of that room now, no food for you in this house again". After everything I still did not go out.

I was angry at everyone, especially her. She should have been on my side at least.

Later on, I heard someone knocking on my door.

"Please open the door naw, everybody is worried".

Benson Adepoju

I've messaged her now it has been hours but she did not reply her messages. My mom and dad were not around and I was starting to get bored, so instead of being here all alone, I decided to go visit her.

I met my sister Nora on the way, she was just returning from school. I forgot it was Friday again and she would be around for the weekend. It's a good thing we would be going to the beach till Sunday, else, I'd have to listen to all her bragging about her very amazing school.

My mom believes because we have quite some money, we have to go to the most expensive school. Dad and I do not share that belief. Why waste millions per session? It's just not making sense.

"Where are you going?" She asked me as she dragged in her box.

"Out!" I just replied and left the house.

On getting to Eri's house, I met everyone talking about Eri making me wonder what happened to her. The fact that she had not been responding to her messages is one reason I was even more worried.

"Good evening ma, good evening sir" I greeted both of her parents and exchanged handshakes with Tayo. I pinched Iniola's cheeks playfully and smiled.

"How are you my son?" Their dad asked.

"I'm fine sir". I replied him.

"See it's good you came, Eri no gree commot room since (Eri has refused to leave her room all day)". Tayo told me leaving me shocked.

It was weird enough that I didn't see her in the bus after school and that she did not pick up her calls but what was this about her not leaving her room.

I went straight down the passage to her room and knocked. I knocked several times but she did not respond.

"Please open the door naw, everybody is worried". I urged her. There was silence for a while and then the door opened finally.

Her face was swollen from crying all day, I wondered what happened to her to make her this downcast.

"Eri, what's wrong?" I asked her and she sighed.

She locked the door back and went to sit on her bed with her leg curled up. She wasn't in pain or anything, she looked emotionally hurt.

After hearing everything that happened in school and how her mother reacted, I could feel her pain. Her entire classmates turned on her, and I would make sure to use my position as the school's head boy to get to the bottom of the matter.

"That Ini was there as mummy Tayo beat me for causing trouble in school. I did not even do anything to them". She cried.

I wanted to hold back from holding her but she needed a shoulder to cry on, so I decided to give mine. Scooting over to her bed from the plastic chair I sat on, I pulled her close, placing her head on my shoulder and pat her back.

"It is fine, I will deal with the matter". I assured her but she only kept crying. It seemed as if recounting everything reminded her of the feeling making her cry even further.

"Don't worry, they don't deserve your tears. A whole Eriola Idowu, who are they?" I teased her lightening the mood.

"Tomorrow when we go to the beach, you will have so much fun ghat you will forget all of these. Oya stop crying jor".

"Why did you not invite me to the beach?" She asked with her ready eyes although the crying had stopped.

"Dayo said he would invite you, so I let him do that". I told her.

Even though I had wanted to be the one to invite her, I didn't want Dayo feeling somehow or thinking something else.

"It would have been better if you did instead". She told me.

"What's the point, either it's me or him. The point is to have you invited". I replied her even though that wasn't how I felt. I would have felt better if I did it.

"Is you that know". She replied not entirely satisfied.

"Don't worry, I will take you out specially. Just you and I". I promised her making her face brighten up. "But first, wash your face and go apologize to everyone, you had them worried. Even your sister had been in her uniform all day because you locked her out". I added.

She just nodded reluctantly but still did it. Her dad was pissed by her attitudes and termed it as rudeness.

"Ibaje ni nkan to se yen! If it ever happens again, o ni like nkan ti mo ma de fun e (What you did is unheard of! if it ever happens again, you won't like what I'd do to you)". Her father told her.

She gave her insincere apology to her mother because she was still very much disappointed in her but sweetly apologize to Iniola who was most punished. She couldn't change of her uniform all day, hence, she couldn't do anything freely.

"Your punishment is that you will wash the plates for one month instead of Iniola". Her dad added.

Iniola decided to take the time to jump up and down with joy, she dreaded washing plates. Actually, almost everyone does and that includes me. Eri on the other hand almost cried for the same reason.