SIX

Eriola Idowu

Having a crush on Benson, wow! Ini really knows how to play this game well. I entered the school bus to meet an empty space beside Benson where he was urging me to sit but I was somehow comfortable. What if he heard already?

My heart skipped a beat the moment I saw him, I exchanged looks with Ini and gathered all of the courage left in me to sit beside him.

"You didn't want to sit with me before abi?" He asked me, I could not even think of what to say to him.

"Why are you quiet?" He asked me but I could only sigh.

"The thing is..... Nothing". I replied him and faced outside focusing on absolutely nothing. I heard him laugh beside me.

"Eriola, wetin sup na? (What is really wrong?)" He asked me softly in pidgin which I haven't actually heard him speak my entire life.

It is kind of weird speaking pidgin or even Yoruba among my friends considering the fact that most of our parents had brainwashed us to speak English.

The first day I joined this school, I realized everyone here was almost like ajebo, always speaking English like this wasn't Nigeria. Especially Benson who is correct ajebo from a very high class wealthy family, I even wonder what he does here with us.

"Nothing jor". I replied him and just started hoping we arrive school sooner.

"Have you heard that Eri has a crush on you?" Brother Jonas who sat behind us whispered to him but I happened to hear.

He didn't look shocked, rather he just turned to him and placed his index over his lips asking him to shush.

Did he really know already? Was he just pretending then?

"Oh" Brother Jonas said and focused on his phone back. I could feel Benson's eyes on me, I never used to believe that shit was possible but I felt it right now and started making me feel self conscious.

The moment the bus stopped I jumped from my seat hoping to escape him but he blocked the road with his leg considering I was sitting on the inside.

"Benson naw". I whined. Brother Jonas stared at me in shock, I absolutely forgot he was there.

"Wow!! This thing has levels oooo". Brother Jonas said making me feel very uncomfortable.

I sighed and pleaded with Benson with my eyes to let me go but he refused.

What am I going to do like this? Which kind wahala be this?

"Jonas, I'd meet you in class na". Benson told Jonas who just nodded and left but I could see the eyes they gave each other, only God knows what that meant.

"Let's talk". Benson told me and pulled me with him, I looked back to see who was on the bus and thankfully it was just Ini taking her sweet time to probably witness what was going on.

That is not even thankfully, the whole school would hear another rumor in a matter of minutes.

Benson kept dragging me until we got to the football field. Yeah, my school had a very beautiful football field, one you won't find in any random school around. Sometimes I wonder how I got a full scholarship to this school.

"Are you going to ignore me just because of a stupid rumor?" Wow! Stupid rumor? Was that what he thought?

"I'm not ignoring you? Besides why is the rumor stupid?" I asked him angry at the fact that he called it stupid.

Stupid? Stupid!

"Why did you not talk to me on the bus? Wait.... you thought about it before even sitting next to me. Seriously?" He was really looking alike he was angry. Why was he angry?

"Because... everyone is talking about it and it's more annoying because.... because...." I couldn't tell him, I couldn't tell him it was because I confided in Ini and she went ahead to tell the whole world about it.

"It's just a rumor!" He told me. Yeah but it is a rumor that is true and he would not even understand so why bother trying to say anything.

I couldn't say anything but just stare at him because, what was there to even say sef? Just lie that I wasn't affected by what he called "stupid rumor" which unfortunately were true.

"Right! I guess". I replied him.

"So talk to me, okay?" He told me and I nodded.

*****

School was just good, people were whispering, yeah but did I care? Yes, a big yes but did I let it bother me? Absolutely! But I was able to block them all off at some point.

Some people were even saying how old was I to be liking boy? Especially my brother's friend, a senior. They said I was trying to go after what I couldn't even get because I was the school model student or what?

"I heard her call him by his name today, she must be feeling herself". One of my classmates said. The problem was mostly the girls, must they talk?

"Why can't she feel herself? That's why she is better off all of you, you spend the time you should use to read on her own issues". I wasn't expecting him but he did come through for me, how wouldn't I have a crush on him?

"Benson!" I said in shock and also admiration.

"Time to go home, the first bus is getting full". He told me and grabbed my bag packing up my books for me. "Let's go". He added.

"But...." I tried talking but we were out already. Why was the first bus full already when school just closed few minutes ago.

He dragged me out of the school and got me into a car. Car?

"What is this?" I asked him.

"Got a Uber, I want to take you somewhere". He told me.

"Where? We are on uniform, you know what it means to...." before I finished talking, he opened his bag and handed me a bag. Opening it, I found a joggers and crop top in it.

I looked at him in shock, he really thought this through but if mummy Tayo catch me ehn? Thank God it is Benson sha.

"Did they say you have a crush on me? Are they jealous? Make it worse for them then!" He told me and started taking pictures.

Omoh, how do I have to go through this with a sane mind.