Wake up. Wake up! I cried. I expected the burning corpses to find me. They would then spread their disease. Soon my flesh would melt too.

A low hum echoed through my mind. A tingling wave flowed down my forearms.

"Emilea."

I heard my name. I sat up.

A figure stood just feet from me. Frantically my eyes wandered for an escape but it was just me and black emptiness. The burning world had vanished.

"Emilea." The voice was not KuRath. It was a voice I had not heard before.

"Who are you?" I asked. It approached. Was this another dream? I would take this dream over the last.

Suddenly I could see their face. It was a man. Had a short gray beard and thick gray eyebrows. Wrinkles sagged his aging cheeks and his eyes were dark blue like mine. Who was this man?

"I am the leader of all. I am the leader of the one they say to fear the most." I searched my memories of what he spoke of. The only name that came to mind was KuRath. He was the King's royal guard whom all feared. He would do anything commanded by the King. My eyes widened.

"Yes. I am the King of Galasia." Here I was in front of the man who continuously tried to have me murdered.

"If you are going to kill me, kill me." It had been his mission since I had stolen his precious weapon. A weapon that I had kept safe at my side. Once again, however, it was no longer there. The thought that the King now finally had it, after all the sacrifices made, made my blood boil.

"Killing you is not in my intentions, nor has it ever been."

I squinted my eyes at him. Why would he lie to me? I was not stupid.

"Cut the horse crap. You've been trying to kill me since I stole your most powerful weapon. It must have been frustrating every time I slipped through your fingers." I expected him to hit me, to threaten me, to react in some way, but he didn't. His eyes remained the same.

"You have been made to believe that. But you must think, why would I kill my own daughter?"

It was my turn to react.

"I am not your daughter."

"By law, you are. It is unfortunate that I never could give you the life you deserved."

"You killed my mother. The Prince and I know it was you."

"In a sense I suppose I did."

"Why? Why did you do it?" I felt my body tense up. Since Prince Andrion had told me about my real parents, there hadn't been a need to uncover more about my birth mother. There hadn't been too much time for that. Now suddenly all I wanted was revenge for my dead mother. Then I wouldn't have had to grow up trying to live up to Lord Dazaron's high expectations. What was that even about? I wasn't his child. Was it because I was a princess that he was so tough on me?

"She wasn't your mother anymore."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I had to protect you. Lord Dazaron was my friend. I knew him well and his family promised me they would keep you safe."

"From what? The world?" He was going to lock me up inside to keep that little promise.

"That is all I should say to you. Otherwise the danger only increases." He looked around. What was the King of Galasia afraid of? The only danger I had been in was from his orders. Maybe the Prince was right about him. Maybe he was crazy. I noticed him studying me.

"Surely you didn't just come to tell me this?"

"No. I want you to stop all further communications with my son. As well as his Master in the North."

I squinted at him. Andrion and Abernan?

"Why? Are you afraid we are going to overthrow you?" I smirked at him.

"He is going to do that with or without you. Emilea. It's only a matter of time. I want you to leave, take your sword and go far away. I would suggest going to Rystan. There is someone who can help you there. Don't tell anyone. Do not look back, no matter what. Please. I can't lose you."

I was speechless. This is not what I expected him to say. Why was he asking this of me? Was there actually something out there to be feared other than the King? Also, why wasn't he trying to get the sword that he had Debynn make for him? Something was going on. That, or the King was lying and was just afraid that I would use the sword's power to kill him. However, if that was true, couldn't he just have killed me this very moment?

I shook my head. "I don't understand."

"As your King and as your father, please just do me this one thing." He looked to his left. "I must leave you now. Just promise me." He looked to me for my response but I had none. "This will be the last time we meet. Emilea, I loved your mother. I did what I had to so that you could be safe. One day, I promise, you will understand." He turned away.

"Wait-" There was a flash of light. I squinted. Eventually, the light faded and forest green trees appeared around me. The sky was filled with dark clouds and the air smelled of rain. Where was I? Hadn't I fallen asleep in my tent? Why was I out in the middle of nowhere? I had to find my way back to Teren's camp. I had to report to him what had just happened. My head was filled with confusion and I knew if anyone could make sense of it it would be Teren. Body still shaking, I made my way south, letting the burning yellow sun guide me home.