"cigarette daydream,"

Start from the beginning

-☾~☽-

The Lupin Cottage was in the same state as Estella left it in. The shelves of decorative plates were still collecting dust and the splintered coffee table still pricked your finger when you touched it. And Esther was still left with a creaky bed and a window that wouldn't close.

She hated summer. It meant spending 6 weeks alone in her bedroom. To pass the time she would usually play Quidditch in the fields but she no longer had a broom.

Esther went straight up to her bedroom, packed away her belongings, and lay onto her squeaky bed with Oliver purring beside her.

The afternoon had turned to night and the shining moonlight flooded the silent bedroom.
Her dark eyes glanced up at the almost full moon in the blanket of black and couldn't help but sigh and run her index finger gently along the scar over her eye.

She glanced down at her hand, hoping in some way it had rubbed off somehow. Her deep sigh sliced through the silence of her empty bedroom. Estella through her head backwards onto her headboard and closed her dark eyes.

But a deep scratching sound at her window caused her eyes to widen and her jump up from the bed, sending a loud bang to echo through the house.

But there was no scratching. Nothing was at the window.

"Shit," She murmured as she rubbed her face with her palms; then she decided she needed a drink of water.

Carefully, she creaked down the staircase and was halfway to the kitchen when she heard rustling coming from the tattered couches of the living room.

"Estella?" A groggy deep voice called out. She stumbled backwards and flicked the switch on the wall to see James half asleep on her couch.

"J-James. Why are you-" She stumbled over over her words whilst her cheeks turned bright crimson. "Im sleeping over. Sirius is too; he's in Remus' room."

"Not a smart idea for you to sleep in there too then." Estella replied with a slight chuckle, causing him to nod and smile slightly. And then a suffocating, awkward, deafening silence fell between them.

"I'll leave you to it. I'll just get a cuppa." And with that she hurried into the kitchen. The door between the kitchen and living room had fallen off years ago; leaving only the golden rusty hinges behind.

"Shit," She hissed after checking the door of the fridge to find the milk bottle empty. "Who put the empty milk carton back in the fridge?" Estella hissed as she threw the empty bottle into the bin by the back door.

"Is the shop still open?" She looked up to see James had gotten up, his usually messy hair even messier. Estella nodded quietly. "Well, we can go get some."

She knew it was the best idea but she did long to get out of the cramped warm cottage. So she pulled her coat up her arms and tied up her muddy converses.

Soon, the pair were walking along the side of the winding country roads lined with thick hedges. There were very little cars apart from the odd couple that were flying around the bends. Nettles brushed against their legs but their trousers ensured that they were not stung.

It did not take them long to reach the quaint shop located in the centre of the village. The crisp summer night was tranquil, all except the laughs and cheers of Christopher Moulton and his wee gang who hovered the shop.

At this moment Estella was debating how much she needed that cuppa and thought about turning back around; but it was too late. Christopher had already spotted her.

"Look! Scar girl has got a lad!" His croaky voice announced as the pair walked past. James' mouth opened to replied but Estella was quick with grabbing his sleeve and dragging him inside the shop.