Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

Murder glimmers behind the eyes of nine Generals, irises darkening considerably to create a vision of death. A threatening silence encompasses them as they process their Gamma's words. With their canines elongated, and their nails lengthened into sharp, dangerous claws, they're ready to slice apart the throats of anyone who would dare come for their loved ones, for their mates.

Christian swipes his tongue over his bottom lip and nods towards the fabric. "That is part of their uniform, and that symbol is how I know who sent them." He flashes his canines, a growl forming his next words, "Evropi."

Snarls burst out of the Generals. The room fills with death threats, promises of violence, and a need for vengeance.

Evil is the only fitting word for Evropi wolves. They're cruel butchers, tormenting any and all victims they can get their hands on. They thrive on chaos, on unrest, and they have for thousands of years. They're a parasite to this Kingdom, feeding off of neighbouring Packs whilst they provide loyalty to the Throne and only the Throne.

Christian despises sharing a border with those criminals, those heathens. They've avoided Rosìa since the beginning of his Title, but now they've gotten brave, fearless, and he will make them pay for underestimating him.

"Four of you will take forty Warriors to Evropi, and you will bring their Gamma to me. Beat him, tear off his legs, pull out his tongue, I don't give a fuck. Just get him here, alive." Valen looks at him, and it causes Christian to clench his jaw. He looks at the other Generals, refusing to meet white eyes. "We will wait until after the Trials. The job of the four Generals until then is to select ten Warriors in your sector to bring with you. They must be primed for adversaries, and fearless to a blade. I will not have any of my wolves sent to slaughter." Looking down at where his hands press against the table, Christian closes his eyes and readies himself. He lifts his head. "Inna, Mikhail, Kir, Feliks."

Valen whirls towards him, completely taken aback. "Gamma—"

"It is decided."

The other Generals watch in stunned silence. Christian turns away from Valen, and the General's hand flashes forward to grab his bicep, anchoring him in place. Valen's grip is hard, unbreakable, and it forces Christian to turn his head towards the male.

"I'm going," declares Valen.

Christian can see the fire that lies behind Valen's eyes - a fire fuelled by a poisonous hatred towards Evropi. But it does nothing to sway his decision.

Christian scowls. "I will not have you go anywhere near that Pack," he spits. "You will not cross that border, and that is a fucking order."

A thread in Valen's composure snaps. His canines and claws elongate, gleaming, threatening. He releases Christian's arm before his claws can pierce skin, before he can draw blood and ultimately cause the other wolves to turn on him. The size of his canines has the room's eyes widening, and their primal instincts push them to submit just at the sight of them. Slowly, a faint rumble resonates within his chest, filling the room with a sliver of what could be. "It was not a request."

Christian's eyes darken. "Do not undermine me."

Valen takes a step forward, a slither of his aura seeping through the cracks in his resolve. The other Generals step back whilst Christian stands tall, unmoving. "You know what they did to me," Valen hisses, eyes glacial. "For eight years, I have obeyed you out of respect. Do not mistake it for submission."