Twenty two

Alexis knew how she was trying to be a good mum. She she that wanted to make her daughter proud of her. She just didn't know if it was possible.

She knew how it was all getting too much for her. Especially with all she had been through. She wanted to make it all worth it.

She didn't want to be known as the girl with the eating disorder. She didn't want to be known as the girl who had a baby by a teacher. All she wanted was to be normal.

All she knew was that she was going to somehow make it work. For Lilly.

When she woke that morning, she looked to see Lilly wasn't in her cot. It took her a moment to realise she was with Tom.

Alexis climbed out of bed and sighed. She walked into the living room. She saw Grace sitting there. She sighed. "I forgot Lilly wasn't here. I don't know what's going on with me."

Grace smiled. "It's all the studying you're doing. I know you feel like you have to do what you can to make your life work out, but you're doing all you can. You're only one person. And there's only so much you can do," she told her.

Alexis nodded. She sighed. "I just want Lilly to be proud of me. I don't want her to know that I had problems."

"But it's your problems that have changed you. You're a much more mature person. Everything you've been through, it's made you stronger. And I'm proud of you."

"Thanks Grace. You're the only one who's been there for me. Mum doesn't understand," Alexis mumbled.

***
Alexis went into school. She smiled as she saw Tom with Lilly. She walked over to them. "How was she?" She asked.

Tom nodded and smiled. He looked to his daughter. "She was golden. She always is. How are you? You look like you've barely slept."

Alexis shrugged and sighed. "I'm okay. I just couldn't get comfy. I kept tossing and turning. But I'm okay," she said.

Tom nodded. He could see how Alexis looked. She looked unwell. And he hoped that she hadn't relapsed with the eating disorder.

He knew he didn't want to see her suffer again. He didn't want her going through hell.

Tom took her hand. "You know you can talk to me. About anything," he said.

"Thanks."

***
Alexis was sitting in the common room. She looked up as Christine walked in. She sat down. "When do you plan on returning home?" She asked.

"Not yet. I don't feel comfortable. And I'm settled with Grace. She helps me with Lilly. And she doesn't drink," Alexis said.

Christine rolled her eyes. "I don't drink all the time. I am allowed a few drinks after work. Or is that not acceptable in your eyes?"

"Leave me alone. I don't need this," Alexis said as she stood up and walked off.

Not knowing how Christine was planning in her mind.

***
Alexis walked into the living room. She saw a woman sitting on the sofa. "Lex. This is Yvonne. She's from social services."

"Okay?"

Grace felt a tear slip down her cheek. "They're saying you're not capable of looking after Lilly. They're trying to take her into care," she said.

Alexis fell to the floor in tears. But who had called them?