Prologue

"Crap!"

Was all that my best friend could manage to get out when she saw the list of school activities on the notice board. It sat at the front of the school, covered heavily by a large shelter to prevent the weather from removing any of the papers that were on the board. I tried my hardest not to laugh at her as we read down the bright pink sheet of paper, used to draw the attention of passers by to the note which had obviously been printed and put up last night after all of the students had left for the night.

As we began to head towards our lockers across the lawn, our blazers and scarves tightly held around our forms as we could get them as we hurried across the lawn. We were determined to get out of the cold, feeling winter approaching in full force despite it being still being three weeks away. The breeze that blew through the school was cold and it nipped and bit at any bit of skin that was exposed to its mercy. We reached the door of the corridor that housed our lockers and breathed a sigh of relief at the warmth that came flooding over us as we walked in. Thank the Gods that someone had been smart enough to turn the heating on.

"Why? Why today do they have to come to our school?! I'm not even dressed nicely," Laura whined as I snickered and unlocked my locker and opened the door.

"Relax, Laura. Knowing the track record of this school, they won't actually show up today and the admin staff got the date wrong," I said before adding as per usual under my breath as I turned back to my locker.

Laura huffed in frustration before slapping her hand down around my wrist and holding on tightly. I yelped at the sudden contact and tried to pull my arm out of her grip.

"Damn it! Laura! Let go! You're hurting me!" I demanded as I tried again to remove her hand from my arm. She just shook her head and pointed behind me with a shaking hand and I turned around when she dropped my arm.

Three people, well if you could actually call them people, were walking down the corridor confidently as if they had been at the school for years. Two were male and the third was female. They were all pale skinned and, as I watched them get closer, I noticed they were all exceptionally beautiful. The girl had long, flowing blonde hair that bounced around her as she walked, her brilliant blue eyes shining in the artificial light supplied in the corridor. She was slimly built and looked like something out of a beauty magazine. The first boy had short, curly brown hair and brown eyes to match. He was strongly built and looked like no one in their right mind should ever mess with him. His pale lips were turned up in a smile as he gazed around the corridor at the gaping students and I could have sworn that I heard a chuckle.

By the time I finally looked at the second boy of the trio, they were almost on top of where Laura and I were standing. I let out a small gasp when I saw him and he seemed to catch the sound as his attention was drawn to me. He had black hair that was cut short and styled messily. His features were strong yet subtle beneath his pale skin and he had a muscular body that was hidden beneath the school's shirt and tie. His sleeves were rolled up to just above his elbows, exposing strong arms.

When his eyes finally found mine as I stared at him in wonder, I let out another gasp when I saw their colour. A brilliant electric blue pierced mine and sent shivers down my spine with just that one simple glance that he cast my way. I tried to fight down the small smile that I could feel playing about my lips but I couldn't and I smiled warmly at him. His lips twitched, almost as if he were going to smile back but he turned back to what was in front of him as the girl claimed his attention as they continued walking past us. I swear not a single full minute had past but it felt like an entire eternity had faded before my eyes and I would never have noticed it happening, to entranced by the mysterious blue eyed boy.

I felt Laura's bony finger stab me in the side and I jumped a foot in the air. The boy had walked away and rounded the corner before I turned back to look at her with an angered glare.

"What in the world was that for?" I demanded as I glared at her. She gave a small sigh before replying.

"If you two had been staring at each other for any longer, I'm not sure what would have happened. But Aria..." she said to me and my gaze softened slightly.

"What?" I asked her, trying to keep the annoyance out of my voice.

"Please be careful. I just have a bad feeling about that boy," she said before turning on her heel and walking off in the direction of her own locker, leaving me standing beside my own open one with a completely shocked look on my face.