Politely pushing past some partygoers, I made my way to a table of non-alcoholic beverages for the younger folk. I accept a crystal-like glass of water, and almost drink it all down in a few gulps as I try to erase the ashy taste in the back of my throat, and the pain in the sides of my forehead.

"Princess Stella!" I hear a voice all too familiar. I cringe, before turning around to see a tall draconic man I know. Lord Crevan.
Crevan is Miss Ceris' ex. He's a tall man with pale skin and large jade wings extending from his back with solid, stern eyes to match. Stern eyes, and a smile his kingdom, let alone the dimension fell in love with. But underneath that charming noble and gracious gentleman demeanor I'm told lies something sinister. What exactly I'm not sure, father, Ceris, and Marcel barely leave him around me long enough to have a conversation; however, I'm sure there's a reason for that, and why Ceris parted ways with him in the first place.

"...Good evening Sir Crevan." I greet, taking a step back. My hand slips over the rim of my glass and I hide it behind my back. I look up by the raised platform where my father was to see him striking a conversation with the young man, Marcel seeming to have joined in. Ceris had left.
They're too far to signal or call for. I note nervously.

"By the crystals, my dear. I hear it's already your twenty-first birthday? My, you've grown up to be as strong as your father haven't you?" He asks, reaching for two glasses of champagne, and steps closer to hand one to me, only making my chest tighter. I stare at the alcohol he was offering with a look of caution.

"N—No thank you. I'm alright." I say, revealing my glass of water with a slight chuckle.

He shrugs, taking a sip. "Your loss." In response, I laugh nervously as he drinks the remainder of one glass and began the second. "Now, may I ask, have you seen Ceris? I've been meaning to have a discussion with her."

I pause. "I believe she's still in her quarters getting ready!" I lie, stepping away, my back touching the marble wall behind me.

Crevan's face hardens as his brow furrow. He steps closer to me, pushing his shoulders back further, making him appear slightly taller. He opens his mouth to speak when—

"Crevan." A echoey voice speaks up bitterly, startling us both. Standing behind us was the woman in question, Lady Ceris.
She steps up, placing her empty crystal champagne glass on a waiter's tray, folding her arms across her back.

"Ah! There she is!" Crevan beams, his wings lifting slightly. He steps over to her, attempting to kiss her hand.

Ceris clears her throat. "Go along Stella! Enjoy your birthday deary. I can deal with him."

I nod and slip out from behind the taller man. She shoots me a nervous glance as I back away towards the side balcony door.

Lady Ceris is strong, and capable. She's more than fit to civilly settle scores with a fox like him. She will be just fine.

To escape the fox and the smoke of the party, I swiftly step out onto the balcony, the cool evening air knocking the ashy air from my lungs almost throwing me into a coughing fit. I reach out a shaky hand for the wall next to me to catch myself. I take in a shaky breath of the cool air, my shoulders slump as I rest in the sea of my gown.

"You okay ma'am?" A new voice asks. I look up to see the young man my father was talking to just a few minutes ago standing in front of me, offering his hand extending to me. He looks about my age. I hesitantly take his hand, and he hoists me up.
The young man wore a dark suit with a lapis colored suit coat. He has longer, inky hair that flows out of his face; tanned skin, lean build; a black mask with painted-on blueberries over the top half of his face; and two comforting, ocean eyes, ones that you could almost feel the care and warmth behind.