Clayface of Tragedy

Začít od začátku

"Poor soul."

"I'll need to run some tests."

I looked into the microscope again and my eyes widened to find the sample was gone! Ella and I looked at each other in bewilderment. We immediately started searching for it.

"Lab samples don't just get up and walk away," I stated.

"You sure?" Ella quipped.

"Not without leaving a trail," I stated as I put on ultraviolet glasses.

I found the trail to see it was right beside where Ella was searching, and I saw the clay about to attack her.

"Ella!" I cried.

The clay launched itself onto her face, covering her nose and mouth. Her eyes went wide and she struggled, but the clay couldn't be pried off. I pulled a freezing spray out of my belt and froze the clay, able to pry it off her face once it was solid. Ella gasped for air and coughed.

"Are you alright?" I asked, helping her into a sitting position.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," Ella assured. "That putty is rather nasty though."

I helped her up then paused.

"Putty," I muttered. 

"Bruce?"

"Joker's putty formula. What if Ethan was infected? Clayface was first seen in Ethan's neighborhood. And Ethan has been at odds with chief Rojas. Ethan is Clayface."

"Oh no..." Ella breathed out. "Can he be cured?"

"I don't know, but I intend to find out."

I headed to the batmobile and went out to look for Ethan, not gone for a few minutes before Ella contacted me through the coms.

"Bruce, you have a phone call from detective Yin. She is calling for you, not the Batman."

"Patch her through."

"Hello, Mister Wayne?" Yin said.

"Please, detective, Bruce," I assured.

"Look, uh, Wayne, um, you and Bennett... Ethan, are best friends right?"

"Well since high school, why?"

"Well he's had a rough couple of days, I was hoping you could talk to him."

"We were supposed to shoot hoops today at the old east-Gotham gym, but I haven't been able to reach him. Is something wrong?"

"Ethan just hasn't been himself." She paused. "Because Ethan's not himself," she muttered.

"I'm sorry, detective?"

"Uh, nothing. Look, I'm sorry I bothered you, Wayne. I have to go."

She hung up and I frowned. She must've caught onto the same thing I did. She was bright.

"So do I, detective."

"Attention all units," the police transmitter called. "Clayface has abducted police chief Rojas. Suspect should be considered dangerous. Last seen headed towards east Gotham."

"East Gotham," I muttered, thinking about where we were going to shoot hoops. I knew where he was going.

I made it to the gym and scouted the area before walking in. I walked into the basketball court to see Clayface and chief Rojas, who was pinned to the wall with clay.

"Come on in Batman," Clayface said, clearly this time. "It's time to say our goodbyes to chief Rojas."

"Let him go," I demanded.