Till Death Do Us Part

Haley Pov

Betrayer. Liar. Killer. Weak.

The words swam through my head as I tried to drive strait. My hands were shaking as I tried not to let my sweaty hands slip off the wheel. Pathetic. Cowardly. Ineffectual.

"We have to go back!" Says Caitlin, "We have to go back! I can stop him! I can talk to him!" "You'll get yourself killed is what you'll do." I reply dryly.

I have to go back.

"We just can't." I tell her, trying to convince myself as well as her. "We aren't like magical wolf people. We're just stupid. Inadequate. Average."

I beat on the steering wheel with each word.

"I have to go back. You're right." I finally admit. "you're freaking right, and I don't know what to do."

"Just...Just drive, Haley. We don't have time to be confused."

I look over at Caitlin, who stares blankly strait ahead. "What if you get hurt?" I ask her. "What if he hurts you? I- I can't lose you both..."

"I wont get hurt!" She practically screams. "Damn it Haley. I won't! You're just like everyone else! I'm blind, I'm fucking blind, not stupid, and not weak. I can handle myself just fine, okay? I'm not going to stumble myself into the goddam fight. If you don't trust me then I'll just get out right here. I'll just sit on the side of the road while you go save your fucking werewolf princess."

"Caitlin, I..."

"No. You know what Haley? Just let me out. Go ahead. I mean, you don't act like you care about anything anyways. Just leave me...You seem to be really great at that, don't you?"

It stings. It really does. I don't know how to reply, so I just stare at my knuckles as they start to grow paler as I grip the steering wheel harder and harder.

"I'm not going to get you killed."

Caitlin grimaces, and practically growls in frustration. "I'm taking you to Chris's house, Caitlin. There's nothing that you can do about it."

As she fumes in silence, I try to ignore my guilt and start the car.

In response, I get a horrible whinnying noise, and I watch in horror as the engine begins to smoke.

I yell at the engine in protest, and then bang my head down onto the steering wheel. "Well, fuck." I whisper.

________________________________

Chris Pov.

When I come back to my senses, my side is on fire and there's blood running from a cut on my forehead. I moan as I try to stand up. Everything hurts.