𝙎𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙩𝙬𝙤

I lifted my dull almond eyes to look at myself In the mirror.

The old and worn out mirror looked back at me, forcing me to confront my mocking face.

A dead sigh escaped my rotten lungs as I grit my teeth, 'I'm pathetic…'   I closed my eyes and felt your hand caressing my cold faded copper cheek.

I leaned into your gentle touch and sighed, again.

I tried to reach up and touch you but all that I clenched my fist around was air.

I choked out a strained sob and clenched my shirt as my chest shook in pain.

This is cruel.

It's been 100 years since your soul slipped away from me again and the pain that it leaves me with never escapes my heart.

I still remember it like it was yesterday, y'know?

Your bubbly smile and soft fingertips.

The way your eyes soften whenever I was around and the soft, delicate smile that danced on your lips when our eyes met.

I remember it all.

Your fragile and wrinkled sepia fingers cupped my tear soaked cheek, "So, this is it, huh?" You smiled so softly at me as you pinched my cheek, softly, "Don't cry, ya big baby!" You giggled, "We'll see each other again, right? Like you said?"

You laid on my lap as I held you in my shaky arms, "No matter how long it takes, I'll always find you, my love…"

Your eyes glossed over as you used the last of your strength to pull your body up and hug me, "I'll always love you. No matter the lifetime."

Your arms went limp around my shoulders.

Sobs broke out of my throat as I held you close.

It's been awhile since I last found you.

How are you? How's your life? Are you happy? Have you found someone?

My chest tightens as I think of someone else touching you.

Loving you.

The obnoxious sound of my phone echoed through my rundown shitty apartment.

I sighed and forced my weighted body from off the old bathroom floor.

I walked into the small space of my living room and grabbed my outdated phone from off of a table, my fingers grazing against the rotten wood.

'I should really get a new phone…'

My sore throat croaked as I answered the phone, "Hello..?"

A boisterous voice blasted through the phone, filling up the once quiet room, "We need you down at the station ASAP!! There's attack's downtown."

The call ended before I could answer.

I roll my eyes.

'Those annoying ass 'villains' are at it again.'

'Why did I choose to be a goddamn hero this decade??'

I pushed out a tired sigh.

I got dressed and left.

I pushed open the rotten door of my apartment and walked down the hallway.

The old floors creaked under the heavy steps of my boots.

I walked outside and jumped into the sky.

I began flying effortlessly above the city and watched with dull eyes as people went about their daily lives.