Creature Comforts

Start from the beginning

Tina repeated a similar greeting before gesturing back at the sign and Bob took a glance at the clock before nodding. Quickly she flipped the flimsy plastic rectangle signaling to anyone walking by that the restaurant was open. Taking a mug Tina started up the espresso machine "Louise's stomach ache isn't over yet so I'll help out today." she offered and he gave her a curt nod "Your mom should have placed any extra aprons under there." he pointed at the counter and she picked one out from under a box "So- um- how has business been?" she did her best to make small talk while tying the apron around her waist.

Her father quietly sipped from the mug "Good, slow but good." he answered just as a pair of customers walked in, behind them Linda waved goodbye to Gene as he peddled his bike across the street, noticing the rusty blue hunk of metal Tina made a mental note to ask her mother if hers was still down in the basement. Louise had sold hers a while back to buy roller-skates, which if Tina could recall were hung up on her sisters bedpost.

Quickly greeting her mom Tina picked up two menus and sat the customers in a booth. Back in the kitchen Linda wrapped her apron on and finished helping her husband set up for the early regulars. She keenly watched how Bob snuck glances over at their daughter "Aww Tina's doing great with the customers. She's great for business!" she commented pretending to be casual. Bob didn't look over at his wife but he knew what she was doing, of course he knew Tina was great. She'd always been a good employee, she was his daughter after all.

Coming over Tina handed him the order slip "Two specials." she tucked the notepad back into her apron not spending another minute of awkward silence with her father. Linda joined her at the front as an influx of customers began to enter. Every now and then Tina would take sips from her coffee and sneak a casual glance over to the pizzeria. Eventually the mug became empty and Linda had asked her to help clean before the lunch rush.

Around noon Teddy walked in for a quick lunch. When he sat down at the counter Linda clapped excitedly "Now hold on Teddy I'll be right back!" she ran down to the basement and dragged Tina back up. Her daughter had been doing inventory during a lull in customers. Bob shook his head at the sight of his eldest daughter emerging like a petrified creature "Tina's home!" the handy man exclaimed and Linda nodded eagerly as she presented her daughter.

Tina blinked back at Teddy before reminding herself this was her cue to say some type of formality "Hi Teddy, how's work?" the words came out strange but he didn't seem to notice "Ah here and there you know. Thanks for asking kiddo." he grinned and she nodded "Yeah no problem, what'll it be today? Regular?" she asks and Teddy taps the table "All ready." Bob calls from the order window and Tina takes the plate, her father had probably already started on the burger the moment Teddy walked in.

Joining them Louise adjusted the waist of her baggy cargo pants which she'd paired with a black fitted tee "Ready?" Tina looked at her sister and Louise eagerly nodded "Yeah, all better." she directed it mostly at her parents and Linda smiled already coming over to give her a hug "Sure you don't want anything hun?" she asked already flagging down Bob to cook something up but Louise squirmed away "My stomachs still recovering mom." she excused while Tina stored away the apron and grabbed the tote bag "We'll be back soon, love you." she directed at her parents as they made a swift exit before their mother could ask any more questions.

Down the street Louise finally broke the silence "Why in the hell are we going to the pier?" she asked shooting her sister a questioning look but Tina didn't seem too worried about their plans "The record store actually." her answer and offered no satisfaction for Louise who huffed "That old pink piece of junk?" she mumbled but her sister didn't reply.

Pulling at the green beanie atop her head Louise gave her sister the side eye, the eldest Belcher seemed elsewhere but it wasn't the usual spaciness she'd grown accustomed to "If you're just getting some cds why drag me around? You don't see Gene making me go out with him and Alex." she complained and Tina pursed her lips "We can make a stop at moo's for ice cream." she proposed but Louise wasn't budging "And then the wonder wharf." Tina added, this time her sister's face lit up but Louise tried to play it cool "Yeah sounds better than your initial offer." she sped up her pace and Tina wore a proud smile.