Chapter Three

Mulai dari awal

"You never have to thank me for anything, Mallory." I heard him say. His hand withdrew from my cheek, and I missed it.

I opened my eyes, and I caught the hint of vulnerability in his own eyes. A tiny, hopeful smile hinted at my mouth, and I thought I saw it in Reid, too. He was too good to be true. I only wish I knew how right I was.

He studied me carefully. "So how's Brent taking it?"

I sighed, then turned my full attention to him. "He was remorseful at first. But I'm sure he's got over the self pity, and now he hates me."

"Why would he be remorseful?" Reid asked, his eyes narrowing. The blood drained from my face, because I didn't realise the trap I walked into. Reid couldn't know why I broke up with Brent. I didn't want his image of me tainted. He couldn't know how scared and alone I really was.

I tried to return the smile to my face. "You saw how possessive he can be. That's all I meant."

Reid frowned, then opened his mouth to say something. But he hesitated, staring at my face with his mouth slightly open. His eyes drifted over the patch of skin that was still purple-tinged, even after a week, widening with confusion and anger. My heart started pounding in my chest.

He closed his eyes, exhaling quietly. But when he looked at me, I could still see the fury in them. "You didn't tell me that he hit you. That's why the bastard was sorry you broke up?"

"Brent has his demons." was all I could think of saying. I'd never seen Reid angry, but his eyes were full of rage. His anger was silent, but it screamed from his expression.

"Demons or not, you don't hit your girlfriend who loves you. Someone who trusts you inherently, because I can see that you still care. Even when you've woken up to who he is. He deserves worse than death." Reid seethed, his eyes flashing. But now I saw the anger giving way to pain. He was upset for me, distressed that I had to deal with Brent's troubles. 

Reid clenched his jaw, looking away from the table. We sat in silence for a minute, until I had to look away too. Then I heard Reid say tenderly, "I'm sorry, Mallory." 

I glanced at Reid, who was looking at me with sadness in his eyes. "You said that I've been your rock, but I'm only causing you more stress now. Whatever you want to do about Brent is your decision, in your own time."

"That means a lot to me." I said quietly. I was still guarded, because I saw how Reid's temper could flare up. It was nothing like Brent's cold rages, but I was wary of him now. I trusted too openly, and I knew that was one of my many failings. I needed to guard myself more carefully.

As it turned out, we left without getting any coffee; to the chagrin of the baristas. Reid and I walked side by side on the dusty, hot pavements. I was too aware of Reid's height advantage. He towered over me, his hair carelessly styled.

"What are you thinking about?" Reid asked softly. I turned to look up at him, then a wry smile escaped me. There was an impossible confidence to how he carried himself.

"Maybe I'm thinking about you." I said playfully. 

Reid looked intrigued, glancing into my eyes before he looked forwards again. "Really? What about me?"

I flashed a cheeky smile at him. "That's my secret to keep."

"That doesn't sound suspicious at all." Reid replied flatly, and I just had to laugh. His smile grew adorably.

I nudged him in the side with my elbow. "How about a movie night tomorrow? I'll cook."

"Tomorrow? You're keen." Reid teased me, and I blushed.